Star note with a error on it

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Cosimo zingy, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Cosimo zingy

Cosimo zingy Member

Hello

can I get your guys opinion on this I was looking for star notes and I came across one that was misprinted on the top right corner on the back. Has anyone ever seen this? I thought a star note was fixing a incorrect bill and this one has a mistake as well

Cosmo

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Yes,its definitely not normal nice find can we get pictures of the front also correctly.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I love seeing errors on error replacement notes...assuming your note is actually a Star note. :)

5. Cosimo zingy

Cosimo zingy Member

Sorry I did front and back it didn’t work lol

Attached Files:

6. Cosimo zingy

Cosimo zingy Member

I uploaded the front pic

7. Cosimo zingy

Cosimo zingy Member

Posted the front of the bill as well lol

potty dollar 1878 and yakpoo like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It happens. Here's one of mine.
    IMG_4074.JPG

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I believe that is a partial offset ink-print error but I'm not a note person.

10. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Not a lot of wear from circulation. Nice find.

yakpoo likes this.
  11. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Yes you are correct. It is also called a partial front to back wet ink transfer, but offset transfer I believe is the technically correct term. These occur in almost every state. By that I mean partial, half, full, and anywhere in between.

My primary collection is star note errors. Front to back and back to front transfers are fairly common errors. But they do demand a premium. After all, it is an error on a note was was printed to replace errors during normal runs. Star notes typically have much shorter runs than "normal" runs so they are harder to find. Even though all errors found on normal note runs can be found on star note runs, the star errors are harder to find and demand a higher premium.

Based on the OPs pictures I would say that this was the first or second offset print of this error. The ink on the transfer becomes lighter and lighter with each passing print. I think I read somewhere that it takes nine printings before the ink disappears. The lighter the inking the less the premium.

Any corrections to the above is appreciated.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I like the serial number, too. Imagine if it was a Radar? :rolleyes:

Oops...was looking at @Collecting Nut 's note.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Cosimo zingy

Cosimo zingy Member

thank you what do you think something like this could be worth dying to know lol

14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

It's only worth what someone will pay for it and yours is a minor error . I paid $O for mine but got it at the Bank .
    Yours would be better matched up with some on Ebay, past sales .Here's mine just for comparison but it's not a star note .
    1977A offset 1 dollar- back.jpg

15. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Since there are no real price guides for these types of errors, eBay is your best bet. Look up the type of error you are interested in, go to advanced (top right area) then pick sold. You should get a list of all the auctions where someone actually bought the note. Average out the prices and you you will have a decent idea of what it is worth. Remember, condition is everything, so prices are going to swing based on condition. Also, certified notes are typically more costly. But you don't need certification with attribution if the error is obvious, unless you are not sure of the grade.

16. cashhound

cashhound Well-Known Member

A better look at the OP note:

error.jpg

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Hard to say. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The line is so crisp and clean, that it looks like a "fold over" error to me. The previous run had a note folded over, allowing the error. While the C1 printing position is third from the top, left, on a 32 note page, a fold such as this:
    DSCN1868.jpg
    could cause this error.
    Just my opinion, but either way, it is an error, and on a star note to boot, so IMO it has added value.

Draft saved Draft deleted