Star note troubles

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, May 26, 2018.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

So I'm ringing up customers at my work and I spot that the customer handed me to pay, a star note. Only problem is that I didn't have a dollar to trade and I couldn't just take it. Long story short...I don't have the star note.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Most star notes are just worth face value any way. If you really want some go to the bank and buy a couple 1 dollar bill straps. That would be 200 one dollar bills and I'm sure you will at least find one.

4. rte

rte Well-Known Member

You should really have $100 in assorted bills in your wallet for an emergency like this.
    It's just a star note, not like silver coinage that you missed out on that is worth 10x face value.

5. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Most star notes are just worth face value any way. If you really want some go to the bank and buy a couple 1 dollar bill straps. That would be 200 one dollar bills and I'm sure you will at least find one.

6. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Star notes = to less than 1/2% of any total printed of any series, in most cases. Yes, many new stars are more common than others today. If the ones you do not keep today, you will not find at face again, but will later have to pay more than face for them. The life span of any bill is not long, unless parked away.

7. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Star notes = to less than 1/2% of any total printed of any series, in most cases. Yes, many new stars are more common than others today. If the ones you do not keep today, you will not find at face again, but will later have to pay more than face for them. The life span of any bill is not long, unless parked away.

8. Chuck Van Scoyoc

Chuck Van Scoyoc New Member

And you might find some that are consecutively numbered, better still. I seriously collect star (replacement) notes. I have all the current denominations, up through $100 even as star notes. it helps immensely if you have regular access to a cash register, which I did for about 20 years. Not collecting that long, too bad! Of course I certainly noticed in pretty recent times that access to a register only helped if the customers actually paid in cash. I think f I were really serious about collecting star notes, I would try to establish a friendship with a regular teller at a bank and have them be interested enough, but not too interested, that they might let you know about them. Or perhaps find me in line at a bank, as I've turned in a lot at the bank that are in poor condition, or I simply needed cash for coins rather than currency. I make it a point of letting the teller know that the bills are collectible, so don't mark them up with ink or their magic fraud detector pens, but keep the great condition ones as they usually are worth slightly more than face value and some may rise reasonably fast , and there is always a chance that you get a star note that has a small run as a star note which can pay off handsomely. I'd take a look at The standard Catalog of United States Paper Money (probably now in its 36th Edition, now yearly) to get a good idea of what may be out there or the collector magazine,
    Bank Note Reporter. if you're serious, or just enjoy paper money. Enjoy!

Chuck

9. Chuck Van Scoyoc

Chuck Van Scoyoc New Member

Having been watching and very occasionally buying on auctions online, people tend to considerably overpay for most star notes at auction, at least that's my experience lately. but keep a watchful eye out for mislistings or no mention of being star notes, just older. I've run into occasions like three $2.00 Red Seal United States Notes that were star notes, two of which were consecutive numbers, so who really knows what you can find, and doing research or just looking a lot can make a big difference. Not just in finding something good, but when is a bill just not worth it in the long run to overpay, just because you got overly excited.

Draft saved Draft deleted