Star Note, Low Print Run 320k

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Endeavor, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Got this as change at a Navarro's Pharmacy in south Florida. Not in great condition but when I checked the print statistics it was the lowest print run of any star note I'd ever found at 320,000.

20151005_205344.jpg 20151005_205602.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice find.....too bad about it's condition.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They are worth checking out.

6. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Nice find. I have never gotten a star note in change back, ATM, or at a bank. Even new notes are all non-star when I take money out. :p

The only way I have ever obtained one is by purchasing one at one of my local shops. Which is a 1963 red seal $2 with a low serial number (under 50,000). Pretty crisp and attractive.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Make friends with the tellers at your bank. Explain what a star note is. Take and show them an example and ask them to look and hold them for you. It works for me, but then, I'm there every day. My tellers also hold silver coins, wheat cents, and anything else I desire. :)

Endeavor and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  8. Endeavor

Star notes are uncommon to find in circulation, but they are out there - unlike silver quarters.

My entire first year of checking for star notes not once did I find one. Then one day I got a $1 star in my change. Since then I've had good luck finding them. I've actually found like 7 or 8 since then. The key is to pay cash for most things and always check.

Another tip (and this is something I do a lot) is pay in a denomination that gets change back. For example, if something comes out to $7 and I can pay the exact amount (meaning I have a five and two ones) I will usually give the cashier a 10 dollar bill instead so that I get 3 ones in return. Sure my wallet will get fatter than it needs to be but I don't care as long as I'm getting more chances to find notes and fancy serial numbers. By the way I have never gotten a fancy serial number (such as radar, repeater, binary, etc.), but I still check. Always check.

Some collectors go to the bank and get stacks to search through. I haven't done that (only for coin roll hunting), but that's another option. Anyway, good luck on popping your cherry.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  9. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Yeah, when I ship an item out at the USPS I will usually use a $20 or a $50, to see what kind of change and notes I get back. Last time I used a $100. ;)

Occasionally I get a few Canadian cents, nickels, and dimes. I wonder how they end up in the cash registers?

10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Heres a stupid question .
    What sounds better, star note or replacement note ?

11. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I find star notes all the time. Even in good condition I spend them. They aren't as uncommon as people think they are. And yes, they are replacement notes.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

Well I would have to agree to disagree . Its very hard to find low serial numbers in the wild and thoses can bring a couple of dollars .

13. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Maybe not low serial numbers, but I meant star notes in general aren't uncommon. I see them all the time.

Endeavor likes this.
  14. Rick Stachowski

I agree, there are a lot of star notes in the wild .
    You have to pick and choose which ones to sell and ones to set free .. 23.JPG 24.JPG

Endeavor and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I have at least a dozen. A mixture of $1 through a $100. I have put double that back in circulation. The most common stars are the new $100. I have those in sequence but no longer save any more from that series. I'm sure Endeavor's run is much shorter than any of mine.

Endeavor likes this.
  16. Cmcart

Cmcart Well-Known Member

:cigar:Nice find:cigar:

Endeavor likes this.
  17. aep1984

aep1984 Member

I work as a cashier and save all my one dollar star notes, i see all other denominations too but don't save them. Over a few months i have saved about 60 of them. I get the here and there, maybe about a few each week on average.

Endeavor likes this.
  18. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Yes, they do flow around in circulation. Received this one today in change and no, not from the donut shop like the others. Posted in another thread but seems it should have been here. Oh well.
    [​IMG]

Endeavor likes this.
  19. aep1984

aep1984 Member

I need to go through mine and check the run productions. Maybe i have some low ones in there.

Endeavor likes this.
  20. Endeavor

I prefer to call them star notes although replacement notes is the more official terminology. Star is also easier to type :)

You really should. You might very well have some low print notes. If you don't already have the notes in sleeves you can buy a pack of sleeves for cheap and put the notes in them for protection - at least the more valuable ones if not all. Then you can put a sticker on the sleeve with the print run number so you don't have to ever look it up again.

It might also be a good idea to type up a spreadsheet (or handwritten list) with all the serial numbers and their print numbers. That way you have some form of record and for seeing what you have in one place and without having to pull out the notes from storage.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  21. Collecting Nut

I prefer to call them star notes as well, however, I have discovered that outside of us picky collectors who prefer "star" or "replacement" note terminology, to everyone else they are simply called "bills". That alone would prevent any arguing about what the correct name for these are. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted