Star Note $20

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Kentucky, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I found a $20 star note with a fairly low number (I guess)...it shows only a center fold and is otherwise crisp. Is it worth a premium?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1stSgt22 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

@furryfrog02 is correct. A circulated star note with such a high print run is best spent.

5. Kentucky

That's what I thought, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

6. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

If you can afford to put it away, it's up to you. Some people save any star note they get.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

In currency collecting, a low number is one with at least 4 zeros at the beginning, and preferably more, so I'd spend that one.

Kentucky and YankeeDime like this.
  8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Low numbers start with a minimum of five leading zeros, especially on replacement notes because so few are printed compared to regular issue notes.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

A low number starts with at least 5 zeroes.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a low number as low numbers are considered under 1000. It’s fairly new being a 2017 but if I found it I’d keep it. I’m one of those people that keep all star notes I find in circulation regardless of the serial number, the date, mintage amount, condition or anything else you can name.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I have posted before on "Star" notes. What is the survival rate of any note, especially a "Star" note? What you spend today could be the one that got away. Getting any note for face is hard to turn down. Yes, you could invest the amount and may make more for it over time. Just think of some of the old new coins you spent. Back then you could get fresh new rolls of them. Now, if you had placed some away. How much would they be worth today?

Kentucky likes this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Actually it's worth less than it was a year ago, if you go by purchasing-power...

1stSgt22 and Kentucky like this.
  13. Kentucky

...spoilsport... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted