Staple scratch

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrgooch, May 4, 2014.

1. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

13h2.jpg How much does a staple scratch affect the price?

Attached Files:

• 13h2.jpg
      13h2.jpg
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

I would say based on size and how it is covering a large part of the coin you are looking at at least a 30% it to the value if not more!! It basically being the coin was UNC a huge it is basically like a new car that had all the doors keyed huge decrease in value !

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Enough to give it a Details Grade. What date/mm?

Chris

5. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

It can often turn a coin that would otherwise grade cleanly into a details coin, if that helps at all. 'Price' is always in the eye of the beholder. That being said, that's a pretty nasty scratch on an otherwise clean coin. Too bad.

6. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I want to cry

mikenoodle and -jeffB like this.
  8. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Staple scratch happend to me. I bought a nice Capped Bust Half. In removing it from the cardboard 2x2, the staple turned & punched through the clear film. A small scratch but very visible. When I submitted it to NGC, they graded it "Details" scratched. :mad:

9. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

I have a key date $5 gold piece that has a staple scratch and I sent it to NGC and they gave it an AU-58... I think it all depends on how deep and long the scratch is, and also how rare the coin is.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

19Lyds mentioned a nifty way to remove a coin from a 2x2 in an other thread.......

"NOTE: When removing coins from 2x2's (stapled of not) use a sharp toothpick to pierce the cello then fold the 2x2 at the piercing spot. The cello will cleanly tear and the coin can then be easily removed."

And here I've been prying off staples with a sharp penknife for years. I've come close to nicking a finger or the coin itself so the next time I have to remove something I'm gonna try Lees' method. Heck of a lot safer...........:)

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

+1

That is what I do. Leave the staples, break the cello, and the coin comes right out. Just remember to stab the cello and not the coin.

12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Scissor cut between staple and coin.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If the staples are diagonally in the corners, another way is to use scissors to cut the corners off the 2x2. An X-acto knife also works well to cut the cello about half way around the 2x2 and the coin slips out very easily.

Chris

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The ANACS rep at our local show did this with a couple of coins I had in 2x2's. It was a real face-palm moment for me, even though I hadn't (yet) had a catastrophic accident while removing staples from 2x2's. "Why didn't I think of that?"

green18 likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Couldn't say it better Jeff. :) Me too.......

16. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

I staple scratched one coin, many, many years ago. Always cut 'em out after that.

17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

This is why I spend my money on slabbed coins-- no inflicted damage that ruins a coin.

18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

And why I always pounded the staples totally flat on the back had a coin in a 2x2 get scratched through the cello from a others staple in a plastic bag on the way back from an auction. Why I use PVC free flips for raw coins that are better then junk silver I buy em by the box of 1000

19. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I've gone completely to the tooth pick method.

20. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

like kentucky said, this made me cry just a little bit

21. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I use my thumbnail to punch through the cello then just push the coin out, simple easy and I've never scratched a coin doing it. Avoidable scratches like that make me want to scream. Although I did pick up a seated dollar for my 7070 cheap because I watched my dealer scratch it taking it out of the holder.

Draft saved Draft deleted