Staple and... 1957P Wheatie!?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Time2Shine5299, Jan 20, 2021.

1. E50E412A-4090-42C2-965B-1B83A622F21C.jpeg Hello fellow coinaholics, my name is Jason and I’m a coinaholic. (Hi Jason!) LOL

I pray that everyone has had a great holiday season and beginning to the new year, despite the country and the world being absolutely nutso!
    Ok, so, I was just doing my thing, ya know, that “thing” that we do and anyone that doesn’t do it just can’t understand for the life of em why we do it and for so long. Yeah, that thing.

and I came across THIS and all its struck through beauty! It took me a good while and a lottt of inspection and moving of lights and changing of angles and I have come to the conclusion that there are most definitely multiple staple strikethrough‘s on this one. Now, would everyone agree with that? What I can’t figure out is what the rest of it is. Like that straight raised line that’s going across the top of Lincoln’s head that ends at the staple? My best guess is a piece of paper? Maybe a piece of paper that was hanging off the staple? Which is what happens a lot when a staple is ripped from a stack of documents or the documents are jerked apart and the staple flies off with some paper still stuck to it, or something of that nature.

OK, so that covers the obverse, on the top of Lincoln’s head. But then on the reverse, Am I crazy or am I seeing multiple different places that also look like Staples? And then there is also some other raised die anomalies. Maybe a die chip on the right wheat stalk. (It’s a shiny little blob kind of just sitting there about half way down I think) So is it possible that it was really just the one staple and it did a real good number on the obverse die, but then maybe it was jumping around on the reverse die, doing happy feet all over it somehow, causing it to make multiple strikethrough’s that aren’t as strong?

anywho, I am VERY excited about this coin and just as excited, maybe more, to hear what everyone has to say and what your thoughts are about it.

ALSO, PLEASEEE also share with me what you think this coin is worth? I really need to know the value, because I will probably sell it and I don’t want to short myself, because I know it is special and that I’ve personally never seen one quite like it, ESPECIALLY not on a wheatie! And I also don’t want to over price it and never have it sell.

thanks in advance for any and all input and info! Take care everyone!

-SHINY TIME STATION-‍♂️

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sorry y’all, I forgot to include these, so you could see the right wheat stalk, etc. So, here ya go!

Attached Files:

4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'm sorry Jason. I see a whole lot of PMD (Post Mint Damage). Maybe some die deterioration on the obverse.

I personally wouldn't offer any more than a cent for that cent. Others may differ and I'd like to hear their opinions.

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. IMO your coin has a few die breaks/cracks and a lot of damage (the marks you point to with red arrows are mostly hits to the coin). Check this site to learn about die breaks: http://www.error-ref.com/?s=die+breaks

6. I guess we aren’t seein the same thing because of the difference in our devices or something. But just about every single thing on the coin that I am talking about is RAISED, not Indented and not scratched or gouged.

that’s what I was attempting to help show in some of the photos.

So, now that that is clear, what do you think? Because we all know that PMD doesn’t cause raised anomalies on coins, my friends.
    ‍♂️

7. Is there seriously no way to edit a post once it’s been made? Because I DID just realize something and I feel like the biggest idiot ever, but I had this coin under the scope for this whole time and for sooo long, I didn’t even consider the size of everything, because it all looks so big on the screen. But, although those most def look like staples, they would have to be the worlds tiniest staples! Lol I pulled the coin off the scopes tray, to put it up for the night and I looked at it and was like, “Awww dammm, I’m such an idiot!” Haha!

BUT that being said, it is definitely SOMETHING that was struck through into this coin and it looks just like freaking staples! So what the heck could it be? Especially the one on the front. And when I say staples, I mean a closed staple that has already been stapled with a stapler and the “legs”, if you will, are closed, creating those oval loops at each end.

do y’all really not see that? Starting to make me feel crazy over here... LOL

so anyways, I wanted to edit the dang title and the post or at least delete it and start over, because now that I realize that it would have to be the worlds smallest staples, in order to be that, I am just going to look like a dummy to every single person to that clicks on and reads this dang thread! Haha! Oh well... such is life. ‍♂️

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

There is a way to edit title or main body of writing . Click the little pencil icon (edit button) bottom left , then just type the word EDIT in large bold print than re-post .

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Check yours against this one. It looks like a retained interior die break.
    RIDB-1c-1957-07

Scroll down until you get to it, here is the page.
    http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-retained-interior-die-break-1909-1958/
    1957-14 looks close to the same but a slightly different break.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Not crazy. Just in a little over your head, maybe. Stay in there and keep searching.

11. I am still not seeing any little pencil icon or any other kind of edit button on my screen ANYWHERE. You said bottom left and I have looked there Along with everywhere else on the page. I am on an iPhone and using safari app to access this site. Is it possibly in a different place because of my device and app used? Because there is no pencil icon on here, friend. Thanks for any and all assistance provided. (Pics are showing the bottom left areas of the whole page and the bottom of each post, because I don’t know where the pencil is supposed to be located and showing that there isn’t one. Lol ugh! ‍♂️‍♂️)

Attached Files:

12. SensibleSal66

Ok . Let me try again. BRB .

13. SensibleSal66

Let me try again.

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You can only change it once. And you have a limited amount of time maybe an hour.
    So you are to late at this time.

15. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Die cracks and some small die
    chips on the Wheat stalks.

Very common on these dates;
    no premium.

The Die Crack on Lincoln's head is
    larger than most, but that crack is
    known - just a later die state from
    the earlier cracks.

Draft saved Draft deleted