Standing Liberty Saturday !!! Post your please

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Sep 18, 2021.

1. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

(Thanks @spirityoda for pointing out what a novice i am at this, lol! Oops!)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

RonSanderson likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  6. CoinJockey73

Yup, I'm a moron. I'm glad it was you pointing it out, lol.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. CoinJockey73

I think this one is right, lol.
    Thanks @Beardigger. No way i could forget this beautiful S.
    20210918_130033.jpg
    20210918_130016.jpg

Eric the Red, MIGuy, robec and 4 others like this.
  8. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello Sal,
    Congrats on NON-Smoking...I was helped stopping a 2-1/2 pack a day when I had wisdom teeth removed..Not exactly cheating but the fear of ANOTHER dry-socket kept me off cigs for 10 days...after that it was much easier. (for me at least)
    Hello Hambone,
    What an exceptional collection you've put together, especially that monster 1918/7-S...Mucho Kudos!
    (I've already earlier posted pics of my 1916 FH MS-63)
    J.T.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  9. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

1917 PCGS AU58FH Type 2
    1917 Type II SLQ AU58FH (1).jpg 1917 Type II SLQ AU58FH reverse (1).jpg

11. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

There was one SLQ that no one mentioned, nor did eye. Maybe it's because it may not be a "true" SLQ, the Gold Standing Liberty. It is a beautiful version. I was fortunate enough to get all three of the gold rendition of older coins... the Gold Mercury Dime, the Gold Standing Liberty Quarters, and the Gold Walking Liberty.

12. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

I also acquired the 3 gold renditions and was particularly keen to the the gold SLQ. I must admit to some disappointment about the weakness of the strike however.

Jim Dale likes this.
  13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Standing Liberty heck, a big congratulations is in order Sal... Hang in there man, it's been 41 years since I realized it was not worth it to smoke. I made a promise to my daughter to quit, I gave her my last pack of cigarettes, and did it cold turkey. Don't ever turn back Sal. Best of luck to you!

14. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Good for you!

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

These two modest, raw circs are the best I have right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below: the best I've had overall were the ones in my old PCGS Registry type set in the early 2000s.

(Edit- wow, I see I retired that set in 2002.)

These images were done on a 1998-vintage flatbed scanner, so they're not great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric the Red, MIGuy, robec and 9 others like this.
  17. AcesKings

AcesKings Well-Known Member

18. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I have one from each year except 1916 and 1921. For a few years I have more than one. By no means is it close to a complete set; it isn’t even a full year set.

But the one thing they have in common is that I like them all. A lot. I ended up with a few more 1917s than I planned. 25c 1917 T1 #02 full 05.jpg 25c 1917 T1 #01 full 15.jpg 25c 1917 T1 #03 full 01.gif 25c 1917-D T1 full 05.JPG

The dies were a bit misaligned for this Type II. It results in a weak strike at the date and the top of the reverse. I think the dies were furthest apart at the 4 o’clock position on the obverse, judging by the lack of border details. On the reverse, the 2 o’clock position shows no details in the stars.

On the other hand, it applied more pressure at the head, resulting in a probable Full Head for this ungraded example. I wish these Full Head, Full Steps, Full Bell Lines took into account the overall strength of the strike, instead of looking at one feature only. If the die alignment had been off in the other direction, the date would have been stronger and the head weaker. Would that make it any worse or better?
    25c 1917 T2 full 05.JPG

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Eric the Red, MIGuy, robec and 7 others like this.
  19. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You know what's really fun? Diggin' 'em up out of the ground when you're metal detecting! I've not found a whole lot of SLQs in my detecting career, but I popped a few outta the dirt in my dig days.

MIGuy, robec, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted