Featured Standing Liberty Quarters---The Full Head Debate

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Nov 10, 2008.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's enough education within the posts made on CT to fill a small library ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I gotta say, this thread brings back memories. SLQ's are definitely in the deep end of the US numismatic pool. They are hard to grade and even harder to price. I'm actually glad that I abandoned my SLQ collection and only have one coin left in my collection.

[​IMG]

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I've kept a couple dates that are commonly well struck with full heads in my Dansco 7070 album. :)
    Dansco Standing Lib Quarters.jpg

5. preston stockwell

preston stockwell New Member

having been collecting slqs for 30 yrs i really appreciate all the comments here. i have loved this series with all the slqs quarter club articles in the past and all thebooks that i have got and read and especially being able to travel with jay cline to the different shows and to have him show me and educate me on these beautiful coins. One thing i have noticed is that you better look at the coin before you purchase it or you might be surprised. have seen fh designations that are slabbed PCGS that dont even come close. love the series and all the comments thanks

longshot and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I was able to complete the standing liberty collection by adding just three (pricey) pieces to the combined collections of my great uncle and grandfather some years ago, but I’ve been working on improving the set for nearly twenty years now. My uncle and grandfather just picked their collections out of circulation, so some of them really needed a bit of improvement. I’d like to eventually get it an AU minimum set, but even that may take a few more years to accomplish. The SLQ set is extraordinarily difficult to complete with higher caliber pieces compared to any other twentieth century coinage, but it’s a beautiful and somewhat overlooked series IMHO.

7. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

I don't meant to high-jack the FH discussion, but it is my view of the most beautiful coin. Here to my understanding, is the only image of the original concept...
    [​IMG]

ValpoBeginner likes this.
  8. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

I would have to agree with your strategy for collecting only FH SLQ's that meet your price differential category. In addition to actual future resale value, either for you or your heirs/beneficiaries, Id consider getting them graded and then stickered by MAC, I believe that they are the only ones who currently verifying full head SLQ's.

I know all this submitting and resubmitting can be a bit costly, but the price differentials or ratios between premium FH dates, and those without full head price premiums, make it a sound insurance policy well worth the cost..

Saying this, the opposing viepoint is the risk management aspect of future market prices ptedition and have shifted in a relatively short time. This "trend" remains constant in corporate population statistics, possibly only due to collectors selectively submitting only those dates that are more scarce in FH form. This being said, the minute that collectors attempt to verify their lesser valued SLQ's for FH status, the price ratios increase at first until more submissions make the cut.

IF i PERSONALLY HAD TO DECIDE, I'd get them graded by PCGS and stickered by MAC. You will then have the option of selling, if you monitor the population, an act before the market reports begin to show a increase in FH designations, that now seem really rare.

***The best statistic to have in your decision making process would be titled "SLQ's by date Submitted but Denied Due to Failure to Meet the Criteria" ***

I have tried to obtain such info from MAC for FS nickels, and I was politely told that they don't disclose info on those coins
    meeting the criteria and the actual total nickels of the date submitted śeeking FS status but were denied.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If you’re getting them graded PCGS was a good suggestion. The best combo you could have which the market shows is the PCGS CAC combo

Paul M. likes this.
  10. ValpoBeginner

Does CAC do FH designations now?

11. ValpoBeginner

If they do, I'd choose them in a heartbeat.

12. ValpoBeginner

I think i only have one left too... My 1927-S

13. baseball21

If the coin is FH is gets graded that. CAC takes into account the grade and all designations when giving a sticker or not

14. ValpoBeginner

OH okay I get what you are sayin now ... I didn't realize that PCGS put that designation on its holders for SLQ's. I guess you can tell that I don't have any graded SLQ's yet. I know that CAC double checks the grade but do you know if they double check for designation standards as well?

I've just seen the MAC ads for Designation Verification and figured that only they did the criteria checks for designations. But I guess it's the same with the few CAC stickered slabs I have, but they only double check the grade on certain higher valued coins, whereas MAC checks the TPG's designations on moderns like with my Full Steps Jefferson Nickels which CAC doesn't do. CAC, I think of as the Standard in grade checking. Could it be that MAC is possibly the Standard in designation checking?

15. ValpoBeginner

Here is my reality check for future of coin grading and designation verification. This is not serious and hopefully most of you will get that this is a sort of political cartoon. NOT MY TRUE FEELINGS HERE.

THE CURRENT STATE OF THE COIN MARKET:
    Screenshot_2018-06-23-08-55-02-01.jpeg
    magnifier_20180623_085247-01.jpeg
    VADER: "It seems the rebel alliance has so much grading information available to them that they think they can grade their own coins, we must destroy CoinTalk and make them pay"

THE COIN DEALERS to the collectors:
    magnifier_20180623_091541.png

(I am just having fun with my Saturday Morning Cartoons. I really do respect the years of expertise that these companies have and highly value their services)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  16. baseball21

You’re wrong about CAC. They do everything. They’re not going to sticker something if they disagree with the designation

Paul M. likes this.
  17. ValpoBeginner

I'll have to disagree with you. When you visit the website, click on the link "Coins We Accept".

18. baseball21

There’s nothing to disagree about. Designations are given as part of the grade. CAC evaluates the whole grade which includes the designations

19. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I think basing price differences in a linear manner to certified number differences is rather silly. iMO, if someone has a FH coin, they will be more likely to certify it. MS63 non FH SLQs are in the 200 dollar range, which for some may be kind of iffy for certification.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. ValpoBeginner

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and
    he is less remote from the truth who
    believes nothing, than he who believes
    what is wrong." - Thomas Jefferson
    Notes on the State of Virginia
    [1781-1785]. Query VI

"Be not careless in deeds, nor confused in words, nor rambling in thoughts"
    -Marcus Aurelius

"A wrong-doer is often a man that has left something undone..." Marcus Aurelius
    (in reference to your assumption without visiting the site to find out if they in fact "do everything")

21. baseball21

The only ignorance occurring here is you not understanding what you’re talking about. There’s no other way to put it at this point. Go learn about grading and the designations it’s all over the PCGS site and the NGC site

Draft saved Draft deleted