Stamping error or...?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by walktheline91, Oct 19, 2017.

1. walktheline91

walktheline91 New Member

I can't tell if this nickel has a stamping error or if someone tried to make a ring from it. The edge is very smooth and doesn't look like it was hammered on. What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Judging from the lack of detail on the devices, I believe it is a "dryer coin". If you search for "dryer coin" on our forums, you can find numerous examples of them.

Chris

enamel7 likes this.
  4. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Some call it a 'dryer' coin.

I call it a 'tapped' coin.

Either way, it's PMD - post minting damage

paddyman98 and Kentucky like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

damaged, spend it

6. cpm9ball

Ordinarily, I would say that it had been "spooned" based solely on the appearance of the rim. However, since the devices lack so much detail, I concluded that the coin was subjected to a lot of heat. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

Chris

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I agree with the long-time professional error coin dealer. While I'm not an error coin expert, I do have him by a few years. :D WHERE IS @DGJMSP?

I call 'em "spooned." :rolleyes: This "dryer coin" :bucktooth: nonsense never made sense with me. Someone tapped the edge of this coin all around its circumference. Coins such as this were common as dirt well before electric clothes dryers! I know.

Now, I can be convinced "dryer coin" is a good "modern" term under this condition. Stick a cent in your dryer and post a photo. I shall not try this as I believe I know the result. o_O

Does anyone know how long it will take to bounce a coin around in a dryer in order to produce this effect? Until some one actually does an experiment I'll continue to say nonsensical BUNK!

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

He's hiding...try @GDJMSP :)

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably months, and they are talking about commercial dryers that are unsed nearly constantly not you home dryer. And there have been people that have worked on commercial dryers that have reported removing pieces like these during servicing. When I was doing flooring I did tile in laundromats and when we had to move the machines we would find such pieces.

Insider likes this.
  10. Insider

Didn't figure a home dryer but...some commercial washer is going to be running for months with loose change possibly making an occasional "clank" and no one is going to look inside... It's a wonder some didn't turn into rings. :facepalm: I'd rather think they were made on purpose by "tapping."

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

For larger coins making rings by tapping is always a possibility, but for small coins like nickels, dimes, and cents, possibly even quarters, by the time you get it tapped down into the decent width for a ring the diameter is too small to be used as a ring except for maybe on a baby. Then you have to worry about them swallowing it.

Insider likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Correct ! I try to stay away from this section as much as possible - there's only so much a guy can take ya know :inpain:

And in this section of the forum it's served up by the dump truck load :D

coinsareus10 likes this.
  13. Kentucky

More so than the Bullion Forum?

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sixes :D

coinsareus10 likes this.
  15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It has been explained before. It's not tumbling aroung inside the drum but between the outside part of the drum and the inside part of the dryer wall. Coins slip into a small gap and get caught in this area. I have seen them with my own eyes when they are repairing dryer machines. The technician tells me that he has found hundreds of these dryer coins over the years.

16. cpm9ball

@Insider

Zackly!

Chris

17. Insider

@cpm9ball

I never knew there were two revolving drums (one inside the other) in a commercial dryer. So 'til I see one of these coins pulled from a commercial washer w/my own eyes...Zackly Not! :p

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

The trick to it is that you have to be inside the machine while it is running.:woot:

Note: I think there is only one drum rotating, but it does have an outer wall.

Chris

19. Insider

Note: I think there is only one drum rotating, but it does have an outer wall.
    Chris

Right and AFAIK, the outer wall does not move. Many of us have put trousers in a dryer with coins in the pocket. Many times they come out and make a tiny clatter if a cent and a louder intermittent clatter if they are a quarter.

Now, we know:

1. It should take a very long time to produce those rounded, COMPLETLY SMOOTH, PERFECTLY UNIFORM EDGES on a coin.

2. Dryer technicians claim they find them in machines.

3. Posters call them "Dryer Coins."

So, how are they made? The only space is in the front of the drum as the holes inside the drum are too small. The drum has sides with a raised lip. Not saying it cannot happen but try to imagine the coin would need to be trapped in the clothes jammed up near the lip and slip at the right angle into the space around the revolving drum.

I have an open mind but IMO, this is a "cooked-up" myth. BTW, all those 19th Century Indian cents and Liberty nickels I've seen with the same edge got into a dryer also! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Insider

Hey guys,

Thought you would like to see an 1896 cent that was altered in one of those 19th Century clothes dryers. :D

Attached Files:

JAY-AR and Kentucky like this.
  21. Kentucky

I mostly agree with you, but the explanation is that the inner drum is the perforated one that rotates and is contained within an outer drum which is stationary. A coin caught between these two drums could "roll" and get the outer rim flattened out since the inner and outer drums have a gradiation in the distance...you know, that doesn't make sense even to me...

Draft saved Draft deleted