Stainless steel coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BronzeAge, Jun 26, 2021.

1. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

Because copper turns brown then green, silver turns milky white then black, cupronickel turns a darker grey, and bronze/brass even turns weird colors, but stainless steel cutlery doesn't tarnish, even after 40 years, why aren't coins made of stainless?
    I
    actually a lot cheaper, too. Heck out commodities prices:

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/neodymium

Attached Files:

sel w likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

My initial thought is that stainless is a very hard metal and would be a real punishment for the striking dies. That being said, I have long admired Brazil coins struck in stainless.

love old coins, sel w, wxcoin and 8 others like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have tried to fashion hand tools in my shop from stainless. Lordy that is some hard stuff. I am like @Kentucky and think the material is just too difficult to work with.

love old coins, sel w, wxcoin and 5 others like this.
  5. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

Good point. Sport bikes have stainless brake rotors, tougher than nails. (Mild stainless, probably only 5% to 7% chromium.)

sel w and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

A few countries have tried it. Brazil as mentioned, India has used it for a few decades now, Italy used it a good bit pre-euro as well. They hold up very well in circulation, but die life would probably be a concern.

sel w and BronzeAge like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They were, in 1943 cents were steel and they rusted.

sel w likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Steel and stainless steel are not the same. Stainless has chrome and other elements that keep it from rusting.

You're correct, 1943 cents were made from zinc coated steel planchets, however the were not stainless steel

sel w, wxcoin, Cheech9712 and 6 others like this.
  9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I would suspect that pretty much any 300 grade of stainless would be very rough on standard modern minting machinery. The punches, dies, etc. would wear very much quicker than normal and would be subject to much more chipping. Also, if you've ever tried to drill 300-grade stainless, you know that it will work-harden. I suspect that annealing it back to softer might be more involved than the traditional alloys.

Then there is the whole business of cleaning alloys that contain chromium. Acid rinses and the like can release chromium compounds that are very toxic, so that entire part of the minting process might have to be changed.

So, lots of problems associated with SS for coinage and little to no benefit that I can discern.

love old coins, sel w, wxcoin and 5 others like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

See what happens when you miss one word? One little word-stainless? I think that would use up a die very quickly.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A survey of recent stainless steel coinage from India suggest that they can only work it with low relief designs and die life isn't the greatest.

sel w and Collecting Nut like this.
  12. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

They would have to make the dies out of tungsten.

sel w and Cheech9712 like this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I just ordered 4 2019 coins from India, and the seller apologized for the terrible job the mint did that year. Haven't got them yet, I'll post when I get them. Does anyone else know where I could buy a set of 2019 circulating Indian coins?

sel w and BronzeAge like this.
  14. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

With post-covid inflation, it looks like stainless is the only metal we can use to make a nickel cheaper than its melt value. It was 7.5 cents at one point this past Spring.

Even a zinc penny was 0.8 cents that same week.

Can you coat steel with copper? I think Canada has had steel cores for the other three coins since 2000 and quit using zinc cores in 2012.

sel w and Cheech9712 like this.
  15. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

Tungsten die, and heat up the SS blank?

I'm thinking inconel, and use heat on the SS blank. Inconel maintains it's strength at high temperatures like tungsten does.

Then there's always titanium. It's good enough for the SR-71 and it's high temperature flights.

sel w, Cheech9712 and Jeffjay like this.
  16. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

You can. Canada made steel cents (actually copper-plated nickel-plated steel) from 2002 on, and many other countries have done copper-plated steel, most notably the British 1p and 2p and 1-5 euro cent coins.

BronzeAge and sel w like this.
  17. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

As noted by folks, hardness plays a factor and affects the ability to coin. Steel is typically softer than SS so easier to coin. The expense to anneal/harden SS would make things even less economical I suppose.

sel w likes this.
  18. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

Speaking of high temperatures and titanium, it is almost the 4th of July :)
    https://pyrodata.com/compositions/Fountain-4

19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Copper coated toilet paper would be better than the Zincoln crap we make.

sel w and scottishmoney like this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Going through my 10 pounds of world coins, I'm finding quite a few stainless steel coins and many were minted in Canada for small countries, so they must have figured out how to use it without too much damage to the equipment.

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

All the dimes and cents would look the same

sel w likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted