Stainless Steel Coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Imagine the longevity of coins made of stainless steel! What would be the complications involved in the minting process here? Here are a few, so the technology exists. Last forever, never rust (unless it was low grade), no need for so many, significant cost savings to the Mint. thHGHLVJLX.jpg thGDECCK6N.jpg th1MRDZ6UE.jpg thGWQTWTYI.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I didn't know any coins were ever made from stainless steel. I don't have any answers for you, but you've started an interesting thread, Tommy. I'm looking forward to hearing some input.

Bruce

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I don't know if there would be issues with the minting process. Many countries have stainless steel coins. One if the problems here would be the vending industry. They would probably have to make all new coin readers.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I was in the foundry business since 1985 - to make SS it takes a temp of 2750 to melt the metal combo to make SS - did anybody pre 1920's to get it to that then stamp it at that temp??? The dies would melt or at least distort at them temps - that's why I don't see any SS coins at all . What metal would they make the dies out of to punch them?

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

We use stainless in some of the items we manufacture where I work - they're done in presses and aren't heated. So it's doable, but I know that it is harder to do than the normal steel we use C1008-C1010.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I think there would be a problem with die life.
    And even today dies aren't cheap to make.

Markus1959 and tommyc03 like this.
  8. Markus1959

2 stainless steel coins were produced in the year 1941; an Italian coin to the value of 1 lira, and an Albanian 1 Lek coin. Both the coins bore inscriptions King Vittorio Emanuele III who abdicated his power in 1946 after 46 years on the Italian throne. The reason Vittorio appeared on the Lek was because at the time of commission Albania was under the control of Italy after a World War II attack in 1939.

[​IMG]
    http://www.bssa.org.uk/about_stainless_steel.php?id=82

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think there is a difference between striking a coin and using a press to make some sort of component. The dies would probably break apart fairly quickly.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Brazil was striking stainless steel coins
    In the 70's.
    [​IMG]

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

My best friend worked in a foundry that made the cooling plates for Coke machines. I'll have to ask him tomorrow if he ever worked with stainless.

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

The dies would be made from tool grade steel and then hardened.The coins would be struck from planchets that have been softened first by an annealing oven.

furham and tommyc03 like this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I wish I had photos of some of the Brazilian coins I got in bulk purchases where the dies shattered. This was long before I started collecting US error coins.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I think stainless steel would be great. Maybe chrome plated dies would work, because I think Canada did/does that for its nickel coinage. And if nickel could be made into coins, which is harder I believe, surely ss could work. As far as not rusting, what about tarnish? Like that blue stuff I see on base metal coins?

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and tommyc03 like this.
  16. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I have a bunch of Italian 50 Lire and 100 Lire coins from the 1970's-1980's. They are fun, even though I know they are worth almost nothing. I managed to get a large bag of 'em for very cheap. I wondered why all of them are in great condition.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Like some in this lot of mine? 1 italy lot of 20 coins.jpg

18. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

I'm sure the dies would turn to mush within a couple of strikes

19. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I love the bi-metallic ones. Especially the 1000 Lire. The 500's are very common but not many people online have the 1000's. Ebay is mostly filled with 1 coin listings, nobody has lots of them... :p

20. Markus1959

Well if they can build pyramids then SS coins should be no problem!!

tommyc03 and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  21. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Maybe Titanium ?

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted