St. George, Utah - Storehouse Scrip

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by StevenHarden, May 7, 2019.

1. StevenHarden

StevenHarden Well-Known Member

Hello all.

I have the following two pieces of St. George, Utah scrip. I am looking for any information on either of these pieces.

846E7817-8A89-49BC-8708-A5F810CE3006.jpeg 77A4FB70-05B8-4080-BA64-8006F3389ECB.jpeg

FFF2E7ED-6040-49AE-96F4-480D64D534F2.jpeg AC5104C0-D1AD-4708-BCA7-4208716E3ADD.jpeg

Thank You.

Patrick M, furham, midas1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Mormon scrip is very popular and these are scarcer types.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. StevenHarden

Thank you for the information so far. Does anyone know of any auctions with either of these items? Also, are there any references that specifically list these items? I am trying to get some idea of the estimated population of these.

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You can look in Alvin Dust's book on Mormon Currency. Pricing might be off , but info on printing should be there.
    They also may be listed in Campbell's Utah Tokens book.

lordmarcovan and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. StevenHarden

Thanks for the info @TheFinn I’ll look into getting Alvin Rust’s book. I’m still curious if anyone has seen these specific items in any recent auctions or what estimate might be put onto something like this. Once I compile some more research I will likely send these in to either PMG or PCGS Currency for authentication and grading. Any further help on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice examples.

10. StevenHarden

Thank you for all of the comments/info thus-far.

I currently have Alvin Rust's book ordered and on it's way, but after searching online I found that Douglas Nyholm has authored two books on Mormon currency. His first book, "The History of Mormon Currency," from 2004, is another book I may purchase. There is an online version of his second book, "Mormon Currency 1837-1937," from 2010 (second edition 2015). The online version of Nyholm's second book is available at:
    https://archive.org/details/MormonCurrency2ndEdition2015

In the online version of Nyholm's second book, Part 16 (Storehouse Scrip), Page 323, there is a table that includes the "St. George Storehouse" scrip. Nyholm's book only shows 5c and 10c denominations known to exist at the time of writing. On Page 355, Figure #333, Nyholm shows an example of the 10c scrip (similar to the one I show at the beginning of the thread). What Nyholm does not have is an example of a 50c scrip from the "St. George Storehouse". Nyholm mentions that not all denominations printed are likely to have survived.

I am curious if anyone knows of a 50c scrip from the "St. George Storehouse" or has seen any mention of one in any other reference.

Again, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

11. StevenHarden

Hello again everyone.

I have received back the above-mentioned LDS (Mormon) paper money from PMG.

The 10c piece is considered by Nyholm to be"Very Rare" and the 50c piece is currently unlisted in both the Rust and Nyholm reference books and is possibly Unique.

Any discussion about these items or anything related is appreciated and encouraged.

Here are some images of how the pieces look after having been graded.

StGeorg_10c_Obv.JPG
    StGeorg_10c_Rev.JPG
    StGeorge_50c_Obv.JPG
    StGeorge_50c_Rev.JPG

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted