St. Gaudens for Sale, Not Mine?!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jul 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

“Not overly out of the ballpark” = has the right number of digits and is in the right half of that order of magnitude. At most it is $1000 (33% of the price) high. He will also consider best offers. So yes, he is in the right ballpark.

If he was asking $5000 or higher, I would have said something completely different.

Just so you know, the “I’m going to dissect what you said and misinterpret it to fit my narrative” game gets very old very quickly.

GoldFinger1969 and fretboard like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What is she selling ? Who the hell is buying stuff without a return guarantee ?

On Ebay, at least you have some protection.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    fretboard likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

It looks circulated and has lots of dings...and they don't look like bag marks.

I'm thinking this coin is AU-53 or 55. In MS65, this coin costs lots of money. But not in the AU's.

5. GoldFinger1969

This coin in MS65 probably costs $25,000 give-or-take.

It drops down to bullion price in the low-60's and below.

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's real or not but there's some areas that I'd like to see more clearly
    upload_2020-7-30_1-54-19.png
    The torch, lower columns on The Capitol Bldg., The right side of the cheek (our left), etc.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Jack D. Young and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, I think it is real, just crappy pics is all, my mistake! I finally noticed the mint mark. That said, who would call a Saint Gaudens Double Eagle a Standing Liberty gold coin and place their sale ad in the Jewelry section of CL and take such crappy pics?? Me thinks a scammer would!! :D

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

I’ve bought genuine coins with crappy pics off of Etsy, so you can’t go around saying all coin sellers who take crappy pics are scammers. They may just be incompetent with a camera

9. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Play nice :p

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

While CL is full of scammers, there is no indication that this is one of them. Looks like an uninformed seller.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

is it real ? No way to tell - but then with pics, any pics, there rarely ever is.

12. GoldFinger1969

I didn't even see the mint mark. What mint ?? That changes my prices.

What is Etsy that folks are selling stuff on it ? Is it a new Ebay ?

fretboard likes this.
  13. fretboard

If this were a court of law you would likely win your case! ;) What gets me is, I don't really care that much. This is the world of WWW and when you put your stuff online then people get to think what ever they want. In short, even if the dude isn't a scammer, people like me get to think and say that he is!! What really gets me is what caused the crappy pics?? Did the guy use a flash on it or what? And why take a smaller pic of the reverse? Dude deserves me calling him a scammer even if he isn't!

14. TypeCoin971793

You can think it all you want, but saying it if happens to not be true can get you sued. I’m not joking. @GDJMSP can attest to that

That’s why I am being so adamantly against calling things fake or saying people are scammers if you have no evidence.

If I can’t tell one way or the other, I will say as much or not weigh in at all. If there is evidence, but it is not conclusive, then I will present the evidence and say there is room for doubt. If there is no doubt, as with CoinCreed on Etsy, then I will matter-of-factly say something is fake and the seller is a scammer.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  15. fretboard

I await the lawsuit! :D That said, you win, I said the crappy pics could actually be a real Saint Gaudens coin, not a Standing Liberty coin, like the seller states but a genuine Saint Gaudens Double Eagle! Problem is, I doubt it'll ever sell! :shame:

16. TypeCoin971793

Don’t get me wrong, I think that it would be stupid to pay the asking price with the pictures given. However, I think it is very probable that you would get a genuine coin.

I see an S

It’s a place where artists can sell their creations. The coin market there is tiny compared to eBay.

17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Since you don't seem to understand what it means to call someone a scammer, what do you deserve being called, even if you aren't?

CoinCorgi and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  18. fretboard

Oh yeah, I'm a scammer because I called someone else a scammer, great logic! :DIt's not my fault the seller made himself look like a scammer!! If it's disrespectful for me to call him a scammer for it, tough luck! It ain't no sweat off of mine at all! :D The seller is the one who called a Saint Gaudens Double Eagle a Standing Liberty gold coin and placed their sale advertisement in the Jewelry section of Craigslist instead of the Collectors section. To top it off he took crappy pics to boot of a coin that's potentially worth over $2000!! If it's a legitimate sale and I'm wrong, then I hope the seller sees this thread so he can straighten me out on it! Other than that, I await the lawsuit! :D

19. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

20. TypeCoin971793

Also, for the record, “ripoff” =/= “scammer”

Someone who is a ripoff intentionally overcharges and/or manipulates the truth in such a way that it misleads customers into thinking it is worth the high price without saying anything untrue. Someone who sells cull Morgans for $50 each is a ripoff.

A scammer intentionally misrepresents what is for sale or misleads customers by advertising one thing and selling something different that the customer would not have wanted to buy had it been truthfully described. Someone who sells cleaned coins as problem-free or counterfeit Morgans as real is a scammer.

21. TypeCoin971793

But it is your fault that you called him a scammer without verifying the claim. That is 100% on you. The seller is not at fault at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.