St. Davids Cathedral, Wales - Medieval Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bdunnse, May 29, 2016.

1. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I recently visited St. David's Cathedral in the town of St. Davids, Pembrokeshire, Wales. A really nice town with a really interesting history (and a great pub - The Farmers Arms!!!). Literally about 20 steps from the back door of the pub you get this view of the Cathedral...

20160523_203318.jpg

In the Treasury Room they had a nice display, including a few medieval coins (really sorry about the fuzzy image)...

20160523_105638.jpg

20160523_105647_001.jpg

The sign should say "Bishop Beck" I believe.

Here is a link to more about the items in the Treasury...

http://www.stdavidscathedral.org.uk/index.php?id=722

Here is a screen shot taken from the virtual tour you can take of the Cathedral (see link above)...

Saint David's Cathedral - Google Maps (2).jpg

Also on display in the Treasury were Maundy Money - read more about them at the above link as well.

Just thought I would share.

ewomack, coinzip and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I hiked around Wales years ago and St. David's was one of my favorite places. The cathedral is made of a purplish stone that is really eye catching. The wooden seats in the choir stalls have human heads carved on the arm rests, and they are all different-- probably actual portraits of medieval common people. Not sure if I stopped at that pub or not but I made a point of sampling the local ales regularly!

bdunnse likes this.
  4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

You had me at the Farmers Arms. Looks like a wonderful place.

bdunnse likes this.
  5. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

That's what we were doing...hiking the Pembrokeshire Coast Trail. Beautiful scenery. We ended our trip at St. Davids. Interesting history.

We were looking at all of the different carvings on the choir seats and noticed what looked like a boat with a few guys in it puking over the sides! Not sure what it all means!

Giddy up!

6. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

It is indeed a great place to visit.

7. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Thanks for sharing! I apparently have ancestry in Wales, but I have yet to make an appearance there. After eyeing your picture of the view from the pub I almost purchased an airline ticket. Here, I can go outside and maybe get a view of the Walmart, but no medieval cathedrals. Wow.

The coins look like two pennies and a groat, or maybe a half-groat. I can't read the legends, but based on size alone, that's my guess. They look pretty clipped, which probably shouldn't surprise me. How awesome that the church displays them, but I bet the Bishop wants his money back, or at least a cut of the gift shop sales...

bdunnse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted