Sprint Gold Dime Marketability 2019

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Joe Marquis, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Joe Marquis

Joe Marquis New Member

Received one of the Sprint dimes in a strange coin collection left to me when my father died. Any market for these in 2019? Spare me the jokes please :joyful:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Do you have pictures to show?

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Joe! Please accept my condolences for your loss.

However, since you have not posted any photos, you leave me no choice.....
    THISTHREADISUSELESSWITHOUTPICHERS.jpg
    Chris:)

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

According to Sprint the first one to call in and declare that he got hold of a gold dime will get $25,000 in exchange for it after going through the verification process. All the others who call in and declare that they too have a gold dime will get $1,000 for each gold dime turned in to Sprint. With the cash prize comes a prepaid long distance award.

its 24 karat gold, but I would go for the $1000
    Call 1 888-GRAB-GOLD it says.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Was it actually gold,
    Or just a gold color?

7. Autoturf

I read that they were 24 karat gold, but I don't know if its plated.
    So in truth these gold dimes were not really minted for circulation purposes but just for advertising campaign purposes and nothing more. It was used to promote Sprint’s promo of a “10-cent-a-minute flat long distance rate nights and weekends

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I have my doubts that Sprint will still be honoring a promotion from the 1990s. And from some quick Googling, it looks like these were gold-plated, not solid gold. (That makes sense -- if they were solid gold, they'd be copies, not altered coins, and passing them into circulation would be illegal.)

It's certainly worth calling Sprint, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. (Maybe they'll give you some free long-distance credit. Remember "long-distance"?)

Autoturf likes this.
  9. Joe Marquis

Joe Marquis New Member

Thank you all for responses: My reply:

1. The 1-800 number Sprint used for claiming the $1,000 reward is now a dating service (I swear I don't make this stuff up! :)
    2. The Sprint coins appear to be plated with the 24 Karat veneer. The coin weight is a bit less than a real dime.
    3. I will post pictures shortly. Working at my office right now.

Randy Abercrombie and Autoturf like this.
  10. Joe Marquis

Joe Marquis New Member

Here are the pictures

upload_2019-8-9_9-50-22.jpg

upload_2019-8-9_9-50-22.jpg

11. Joe Marquis

Joe Marquis New Member

Picture just posted

12. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

thanks!

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks for posting the images. I'd probably keep it as a conversation piece.

Chris

bruthajoe and fretboard like this.
  14. Autoturf

Tell us about this Dating service :)
    10 cents a min?
    OK, sorry, not funny.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. Clawcoins

for gold fetishes ....

Autoturf and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  16. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

It is worth a dime and that's it. The giveaway ended years ago and many samples are available still with an abundance of copies, they were very easy to replicate with electroplating. I don't even think the phone number is still valid. The originals were electroplated. I don't even think it is a good conversation piece.
    Good Luck

17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Since these can be made now, how do you know it was one issued by Sprint?

bruthajoe and Burton Strauss III like this.
  18. Chuck_A

You don't know, how would you ever know if it was issued by Sprint to begin with?

19. Clawcoins

If it was simply electroplated how did they differentiate the Sprint one from all the ones plated in the aftermarket?

20. Chuck_A

Only the first 11 were valued as a prize and had to be verified by Sprint through their own process. 1000 were released into the public at different locations. If you were to plate one to claim a prize what year and mint mark would you choose? I read that a few were electroplated, not an abundance as the giveaway didn't last long and I'm sure many were found after the contest was over and people assumed it was still active. I have seen several of them at auction in the last 8 months and IMHO they are worthless. Sorry I commented at all.

John Burgess likes this.
  21. Joe Marquis

Joe Marquis New Member

Thanks everyone for comments. Now found a 1937 Buffalo Nickle in Dad's collection! The 4 legged animal. Circulated but good quality, no pits of abrasions. I need to finish going through the rest of his bag. A clean 1950 Series $10 bill, 1922 Liberty Dollar coin (worn), and a National Baseball Hall of Fame Gold Tony Perez (non-currency). I said his collection was strange!

Draft saved Draft deleted