Spooning!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cman, Aug 5, 2010.

1. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

yep, used a beat up franklin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

General rule is halves for guys, quarters for girls.

4. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

did you ever finish yours, ltrain?

5. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

No, it still needs a good hour of spooning and I've been mad busy. Maybe next week.

6. panda

panda Junior Member

i really think a quarter will be to big for my girl. she was like " i could just take it to the jeweler and get it sized". i could only imagine the look on the guys face, when he see's my "spoon" job. i may try a war nickel, i just wish they had a little higher percentage of silver..

7. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Making the top one is very easy.
    its actually easier to make than the method you guys are using. its faster and in addition its much cleaner.

8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

you could do a dime haha but by the time you finished there would be nothing left

9. cman

cman Junior Member

You can spoon a quarter as small as you need. All it does is make the band wider and if you have to you can even grind down some of the band to make it not as wide

10. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Maybe try a 6 pence........bonus of that is it is Sterling

11. Ryan625

Ryan625 Senior Member

0813001936.jpg 0813001852.jpg
    im not sure how hard sterling is compared to silver, but it could get a bit tricky if it is harder.

I just finished mine after about an hour and a half. heres a few pics of it.

12. Judd

Judd TheCoinSmith . Net

How about a dime?
    Roosevelt Dime a.jpg Roosevelt Dime b.jpg Roosevelt Dime c.jpg Roosevelt Dime d.jpg

13. phdunay

phdunay Member

see below sry

14. phdunay

phdunay Member

How are the double sided coin rings made?

15. mizozuman2

mizozuman2 that random guy

how do you do this? please send me a pm with directions how to! i'd love to try it! (new coins only for me, so i don't ruin any of my coins :D)

16. Judd

Judd TheCoinSmith . Net

I'm sorry, I don't discuss the process I use to make these coin rings.

17. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I don't blame you! I've seen your gallery..... very impressive! Keep the mystery intact, it makes the ring even more special!

18. mizozuman2

mizozuman2 that random guy

well, i looked up some stuff online of how to do it.

and i will not give away how it is done either, for it might be the way judd does it.

19. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Spooning gives the best results IMO.
    My son spooned a Walker and it is gorgeous...

20. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

There are several places online that describe both spooning and rodding a coin into a ring.
    The double sided ones are made by working the coin over a steel rod, like a ring sizing tool.
    They are actually much easier than spooning, that is why you don't see people selling spooned rings in bulk, they take longer.

21. I'm working on a non-silver 1989 quarter, using a metal tool. (not a spoon!!!) I spent about 5 minutes on it, and the ridges on the side are gone!!! Wish me luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted