Spooning!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cman, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Bluetip84

Bluetip84 Likes Toned Coins

You can use a nickel to get a size 5 I think. A buffalo would be really cool!

Yes it is legal because you are not defacing the money to say make a quarter into a dollar or anything like that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evorlor

Evorlor Member

Is that why it is illegal to melt? because you are turning a quarter into $3.50?

4. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Didn't the government used to melt silver and gold coins? And technically you could still use it I think I mean, as long as it still says half dollar or whatever, right?

5. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

It isn't illegal to melt silver coins, I think only cents and nickels.

6. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

It's illegal to damage a coin for the purpose of removing metal and putting said coin back into circulation. It's also illegal to melt modern coinage right now, but '64 and earlier is fair game.

I'm working on spooning a clad quarter to prove someone on this forum wrong, who said it couldn't be done, and even if you could do it, the spoon would be ruined. I'm making good progress, and the spoon still looks alright to me...

7. cman

cman Junior Member

It looks great!!!! Actually it looks its best on my girls finger :) :) I buffed it on my shirt after fine sanding. I buffed it while i was on CT. I could see myself in it by the time i was done. Im going to make more i believe... maybe a half next for me. I have a jewlery shop wanting to sell them i think. We will see where that one goes

8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I'm not going to be able to finish mine until tuesday or so. I can't believe how hard it was to drill through it.

9. cman

cman Junior Member

it took me like 40 mins to drill mine. Definitely the hardest part

10. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I'm not even done drilling yet. hole is only like 1/4 inch

11. cman

cman Junior Member

i drilled then used a dremel with sanding drums. took like 20 mins to grind the inside out

12. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

13. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

The hole isn't big enough for the sanding drum to fit haha

14. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

My dad used to be a coin cutter (another way of defacing a coin instead of spooning it) and was arrested by the secret service for a few hours until he explained it was not illegal. :)

15. cman

cman Junior Member

i used a very very small one. Very small

16. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Hamman, I bet they are watching you and your family right now.

17. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

The almost finished product...

Attached Files:

18. cman

cman Junior Member

Looking Great!

19. Ryan625

Ryan625 Senior Member

I'm going to try this with a silver half for myself. I think a quarter would be too small to wear it on my thumb

20. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

make sure you get it to the right size...mine is looking like it will be too big for anything but my thumb

21. Ryan625

Ryan625 Senior Member

did you use a half? Just wondering for when i do mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted