Spooning!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cman, Aug 5, 2010.

1. cman

cman Junior Member

No problem duke. Im glad i peeked your intrest. I will keep posting pics throughout the process.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cman

cman Junior Member

hahahah! thats why i stopped for the nite too. Im glad i got you started to slamster

4. panda

panda Junior Member

what happens to the silver that gets "spooned" out? or doesn't it work that way?

just wondering if people save the silver scrap..

5. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

that's the only thing keeping me from wanting to drill a hole in it, panda, haha I don't want to waste it

6. panda

panda Junior Member

yep, thats how i would be. every press of the drill or scrape of the spoon, i would be cringing!

7. cman

cman Junior Member

8. cman

cman Junior Member

Alright guys. Ive finished the hammering and this is what i have
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going out to sand the surface and drill the hole now. i will post pics of how.
    NOTE: I found it easiest to use an 8oz ball peen hammer on a vice. Went remarkably fast

9. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I'm not sure how much to hammer on mine...

10. cman

cman Junior Member

I made a rough guess as to how big my girlfriends finger is. I wld do the same for you

11. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I've got it down to where all of "In God We Trust" is on the inside of the little lip that forms, maybe a little more. Without checking I'd say it is the size of a quarter

12. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Before and after, more like inbetween...

Attached Files:

13. Harry Behemoth

Harry Behemoth Junior Member

Very cool! I like how the coin's edge reeding shows on the upper picture.

14. cman

cman Junior Member

Nice man. This is the next step
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You start drilling a hole in the coin and let it bind up. I then took a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper and just spun the coin on it untill the marks were gone.
    Then drill the hole. ( VERY hard to do. Use a vice) And i then used a dremel tool with sanding drums to sand down the inside.
    Then Bingo
    [​IMG]
    A RING!

15. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

Anyone know of a faster method other than using a spoon? Would a vary light hammer work?

16. cman

cman Junior Member

An 8oz ball peen hammer workes great. u just have to go slow

17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Great looking ring! How does it look close-up? I think this may be the first coin ring made on this forum, way to go!!

18. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

19. coop

coop Senior Member

I've seen an image of this done to a silver quarter:
    [​IMG]

20. panda

panda Junior Member

i am going to do this. i have very few silver quarters around, i stupidly sold $150 worth, i did get spot though. i guess i got to go pick them up from the box.

i want to make one for me and one for my girl. she got real little fingers, she wears a size 5 ring. i may need to use a mercury dime!

21. Evorlor

Evorlor Member

not that i care, but is that legal?

Draft saved Draft deleted