Spontaneous purchase - Ceylon

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

This pair jumped at me on the Heritage weekly. I recently sold my 5 Rupee yet these do not come nicer and the lot included the Rupee in proof as well. Knowing my Spontaneous purchases, they will be offloaded when I am done enjoying them.

Two commemorative coins were issued by the Central Bank of Ceylon in April 1957 for the 2500th anniversary of the passing of Buddha (543 B,C.) and the Birth of the Nation. A silver crown sized 5 Rupee coin was issued along with an Rupee cupro-nickel coin for circulation. These coins are popularly referred to as the Buddha Jayanthi coins. The 5 Rupee coin is today accepted by many numismatists as one of the most beautiful and elegant crown size coins in the world.

1957. 5 Rupee. Issued: 242,000. Proof 1,800. Royal Mint, London. 258,000 of the original 500,000 mintage were returned to the Royal Mint and melted by decision dated 23rd Nov 1962. Obverse : An adaptation from the Anuradhapura Moonstone. The numeral 2500 at the centre with Flower petals around in inner annulus, next a procession of elephant, horse, lion and bull (2 sequnces). next a procession of sixteen geese, with lotus flowers hanging from their beaks. Reverse : A design based on the Jasmine flower surmounted by a Lotus flower. The value in Sinhala and the year of issue 1957 is superimposed at the center. The value FIVE RUPEES in English on left and Tamil on right and in Sinhala `Sri Lanka' at the apex and the anniversary `Buddha Jayanthi' at the bottom. The traditional first king of Lanka is Vijaya is reckoned to have landed in Lanka in 543 BC on the same year of the passing away of the Buddha and defines the start of years measured in Buddhist Era (B.E). NGC PF-68 Cameo.

[​IMG]

1957 One Rupee. Issue 2,000,000. Proof 1,800. Royal Mint, London. Obverse: The Dhamma Chakra over which is impose a stupa and the numeral 2500 below it. Reverse: A design based on the traditional Sinhala design using the Pineapple motif. The value in Sinhala and the year of issue 1957 is superimposed in the center. The value ONE RUPEE in English on left and Tamil on right and in Sinhala `Sri Lanka' at the apex and the anniversary `Buddha Jayanthi' at the bottom. These coins are popularly referred to as the Buddha Jayanthi coins. NGC PF-67 Cameo.

Scholars generally agree on 563 BC as the year of the birth of Buddha (563-483 BC). Despite all efforts, the dates of the Buddha's birth and death remain uncertain. The various Buddhist sources agree that the Buddha lived for 80 years, but they disagree on the precise dates. Modern Theravada countries place his birth in 623 BC, and his death in 543 BC, but these dates are rejected by most Western and Indian historians. The ancient chronology, based on Sinhalese sources in Sri Lanka places the Buddha's Parinibbana 218 years before King Asoka's consecration. The Maurya Dynasty (321-185 BC) emerged following the withdrawal of Alexander the Great from India in 325 BC, when the dynasty's founder, Emperor Chandragupta reigned for twenty-four years (321-297 BC) before abdicating his throne in favor of his son, Bundusara. His system of government continued under Bundusara, who left no noticeable mark upon the empire. Bundusara was succeeded by his son, Asoka, in 273 BC, although, as was usual, Asoka was not consecrated as Emperor until 265 BC. This puts Buddha's death in 483 BC. Buddha attained enlightenment in 528 B.C. The Buddhist Era start in 543 B.C. by Ancient tradition ignoring the 60 year error.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Eesh, sweet proof rupees ya' got Zohar! ;)

4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I have the 5 Rupee as well. Truly a beautiful design and one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

chrsmat71 likes this.
  5. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I absolutley love this coin!!! It is on my Top Ten List of coins to acquire. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted