Spoke to a Seasoned Dealer for about an Hour Yesterday..

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BNB Analytics, Dec 24, 2009.

1. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

And let me tell everyone here it was probably the most productive conversation I had with a dealer in my life.. He's from Connecticut and I called him just to find out about his store hours and after five minutes, he was opening his book of wisdom on me and telling me everything I needed to know about the coin industry and how many sharky people are out there..

He had tons of war stories from coins and I understood the best I can.

He saw my passion to one day maybe deal, and he was just going and going on about how much he used to be the same way when he was my age but the industry corrupts well meaning individuals..

What do you think about that? I'm sure it's true. I'll never forget when he said, "Coin dealers can be some of the shadiest miserable people in the world and they are don't trust anyone and are very money tight."

He even knew the story about Julian.. so this dealer must someway be in the loop of things...

bnb

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Great that you found a dealer who was willing to help you. In my experience, there are generally two kinds of dealers: the kind you just described, and the kind he described. If at all possible, I only try to do business with the good ones.

And just about everyone in the coin sphere knows about Julian - he is a very prominent dealer, and I believe the story was in several trade publications, as well as just about every coin forum on the internet.

4. PersianGuy

PersianGuy my.will.is.good

There must be two categories of dealers.. those who have a true passion and interest in coins, and those who forced themselves to learn what they needed to in order to make money.

That's awesome he opened up to you... that's how we learn in the beginning, from the experience of others, we just have to listen.

5. Hudson James

Hudson James Junior Member

In my opinion, no truer words have ever been spoken.

I know many collectors who became dealers and they changed over time. It goes from fun and enjoyment to paying rent and putting food on the table. It becomes all about the money (eventhough they all said at one point, "that won't happen to me, I'm going to be the exception"). There are less and less dollars out there to be had and eventually, it took their soul.

6. sinin1

sinin1 Junior Member

wows it working out for you bnb?

are you sitting on the fence being tempted by the dark side?

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Unfortunately BNB has long since jumped that fence and joined the dark side forever. The dark side of what is not really clear but he has been permanently banned from this forum for a while now.

8. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

Why would somebody who made one post be banned?

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

He was banned for posts that are no longer around.

10. se-collectibles

Ah, other posts were obviously removed. Thanks!

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And you mis-read his post count. He only had 1 blog entry - but nearly 2000 posts.

12. 9roswell

9roswell Senior Member

he had Posts: 1,875

BNB Analytics
    Coin Collector

My Mood:

13. se-collectibles

As Homer would say, D'oH!

14. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

That didn't take long. The "industry" must have gotten to him when he decided to crack out the AU 3-legger and sell it as MS. 'Could have happened to anybody!' lol

BNB had no shortage of posts during his brief stay here.

15. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Hey, I only joined the forum about 6 months ago so I'm very curious:

Who is Julian and what happened?

I'm sensing a pretty big story by the sound of it... everyone knows about this, and the guy got banned from here? What happened?

:eek:

16. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

his coin were stolen
    heres a link to his page and the story is on the bottom
    http://www.juliancoin.com/index.htm

17. Vlad

Vlad Senior Member

+1

18. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Very unfortunate story :eek: I'm glad that guy is getting so much support.

Looking at the previous posts on here, I'm assuming "BNB" is some sort of bad dealer? Pretty hostile comment up there towards him about him jumping the fence or something.

19. Lehigh96

FWIW, I was BNB's strongest supporter while he was a member on this forum. The post was meant to be humorous not hostile, but I understand how you would take it that way if you were not privy to the BNB posting era on Cointalk.

BTW, he isn't a coin dealer. He is a guy who wanted to make money investing in coins. In the end, he found his goal more difficult than he ever imagined. His obsession to make a profit led him to throw his ethics out the same car window from which he was trying to pick up those girls.

20. se-collectibles

Somebody who busts out a slider, cleans it, and attempts to pass it off as an uncleaned UNC is sleazy.

It's one thing to crack a slider out, list it without calling it UNC, it's another to hype it as UNC.

What passes for a 64 today at PCGS/NGC could be called a 58 tomorrow.

What gets called a 58 today at PCGS/NGC could be called a 64 tomorrow.

21. Lehigh96

The grade assigned by the TPG is an opinion, nothing more. If the owner of the coin disagrees with the opinion on the slab and thinks the coin is mint state, he absolutely has the right to crack it out and sell it as a mint state coin. This happens everyday in the coin world and is done by even the most respected coin dealers. The only real argument would be that BNB admittedly did not have the knowledge to question the grade assigned by the TPG.

As for your last two sentences, I agree.

[​IMG]

I am not fully convinced this is not a mint state coin instead of an AU64 slider.

Draft saved Draft deleted