Spitzbergen

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jlblonde, Dec 22, 2014.

1. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

I just picked up a few coins from Spitzbergen. Here's one I just catalogued:

Spitzbergen, 1993, 100 Roubles
    Spitzbergen - 1993 - 100 Roubles.jpg

There is also an interesting documentary on Spitzbergen that I'd like to share with you all.
    Spitsbergen: The Long Dark Night (RT Documentary)

sonlarson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Here's some of mine. 1946 coins are now heavily counterfeited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sonlarson and jlblonde like this.
  4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I like them. I have no idea where Spitzbergen is but it sounds German but apparently speaks Russian and that is interesting. I was trying to gather coins with bears on them for awhile so I may have to find one of these.

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Spitsbergen is a "populated island of the Svalbard archipelago in northern Norway" (Wikipedia) And true it sounds German that's why I looked it up...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419327851.740273.jpg

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Yeah, I looked it up too. Apparently it's named after its Dutch discoverer. I thought it might be something like Kaliningrad, which I found out about recently and which has a really strange history.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Guess what may be confusing about these pieces is the use of Russian (and Cyrillic characters) on them. The island of Spitsbergen is, like all of Svalbard, part of Norway. However, various mining companies operate there, and one of them is Arktikugol. That name is also used on those tokens.

The 1993 pieces had to be withdrawn, by the way, because the Norwegian government objected to the "Russian Federation" reference. And from what I have read, the tokens dated 1998 were not actually used - today Arktikugol uses chip cards ...

Christian

8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Very cool. Thanks for teaching me something. I'd never heard of the place before now.

Draft saved Draft deleted