Spitting Horse?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by furryfrog02, Dec 1, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I was going through a box of quarters yesterday and came across this. I don't normally search for them but since it was horse-side up, I decided to check. Would this count as a "spitting horse"? If so, is it worth hanging on to?

IMG-9898.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Ironic, I just found one last week. So small, I almost missed it. Looks to be one to me. No idea of the value, though. I just keep my known errors in flips for my heirs to cash in.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice find. I never find a thing that interesting in my change.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

The box also had 4 "W"s (3x RONR, 1x Lowell), a 64D silver, and a Kansas "In God We Rust" so it was pretty good :)

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I believe it is a Die Clash that causes that issue. Show both sides full pictures.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

Yeah there isn't anything that stands out on the rest of the coin.
    From what I was reading, it's a die crack that goes from the horse mouth to the rim getting progressively bigger. This one doesn't go all the way to the rim.
    I just did a quick ebay search and it matches some sold ones that were in the $2-$5 range. Nothing spectacular.

Amos 811 and Kentucky like this.
  8. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow has not found one of those in a long time. It does have a name, so at least it has some notoriety in the hobby. Like the fairly common extra cactus Arizona state quarter. Meow has found Mt Rushmore quarters with a die chip in the nose of Jefferson; And was hoping to coin the term "Jefferson booger quarter"

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yep. That's my read on it too.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

I think I will keep this one as an example and call it a day.

Mountain Man likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted