~ Spiked Chin Half Cent ~

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by fellow9278, Mar 10, 2010.

1. fellow9278

fellow9278 Junior Member

What grade do you think this is in.
    What is it worth?
    Should I consider grading?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

I'd grade it Very Good.

I'd also like to see the reverse of this coin. First, it may have problems that aren't evident on the obverse. Second, there are actually four different reverse varieties with this obverse. Two of them are common, and two of them are scarce and will bring a premium.

Whether you should go out of your way to get the coin graded depends on the variety, IMO, and also if you plan on selling it. If it's one of the scarce varieties, you absolutely want to get it graded, or at least attributed. If it's one of the common ones, it's probably not worth it unless you're selling it through eBay (keep in mind that if you consign it through an auction house, they'll grade it as part of the selling process.)

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would not consider grading it - it is F to VF details. The pinkish color in the pictures makes it look cleaned. Now - as mentioned if it is one of the rarer varieties it might be worth the cost to get it slabbed with the variety on it.

5. fellow9278

fellow9278 Junior Member

I will try to attach another pic of the reverse in the morning. I don't think it is cleaned though, it looks like nice and original color (IMHO with 20 yrs experience). This is my third Spikey, and I think it is one of the common ones. I do however have one that has the UNI attached to the rim on the reverse, maybe that is one of the rare ones? I will try to post a pic of that one too.

Thanks for the help!

6. hiho

hiho off to work we go

I think it's VG+ with a definite shot at FINE.

If you are reasonably sure it has never been cleaned I would send it to NGC, it would look great in one of their new edgeview holders.

Draft saved Draft deleted