Spending half dollars.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by HonestScript, Dec 9, 2016.

1. HonestScript

HonestScript Active Member

I was thinking about getting maybe $100 in half dollars from the bank to do some coin roll hunting for silver. After searching the coins what would be the best way to get rid of them?

If I went to the grocery store, could they possibly reject my coins if I tried to pay like $50 using half dollars?

Also, here are pics of some 40 percenters that i recently purchased. do they look legit? What tests can i do to make sure they aren't fake? I weighed each one and the seemed to be right.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

The best solution I can recommend is to open an account with a local credit union that has a coin counter in the lobby.

HonestScript likes this.
  4. CoinZone

CoinZone Active Member

Wal Mart self checkout takes halves. They usually get between 30-50 dollars in halves from me every week. I use them to give my regular bank branch a break.

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Spend them at the gas station.

Smojo and HonestScript like this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I'll take 40% silver halves at face value and thank you:D

onecenter and HonestScript like this.
  7. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I've never heard of nor seen a fake 40%. I suppose it could happen but I wouldn't really be that worried over it if the weights within tolerance and they look alright.

HonestScript likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Really? They should be real. Try the tissue test. Place a thin piece of tissue over a silver and a normal clad. You will see the difference!
    Tissue-silver-clad.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    HonestScript and Blissskr like this.
  9. HonestScript

Thanks, I'm a newbie and wast sure if fake 40% was a thing or not.

10. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have never seen a fake 40% Kennedy. I would think the crooks would have better things to fake like 90%.

HonestScript likes this.
  11. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Not worth the effort to fake either one. That's the beauty of collecting pre-65 half, quarters and dimes. Next in line is pre-71 halves. It's actually a really nice find for a newbie. Great average of 20 silver halves out of 10 rolls.

HonestScript likes this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I can't read the MM on the coin on the left. Is it an S? Because if it is a D it's not 40%.
    And, unless a coin has been plated, looking at the edge will tell you if it is clad, or silver.

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I spend them wherever I go. Buying food, beer, whatnot. I try not to spend more than five bucks at a time though so as not to annoy the cashier.

HonestScript likes this.
  14. CoinZone

CoinZone Active Member

Spent 40 bucks in halves at the supermarket today and got a 1948 Nickle for the Jefferson Nickle retirement home in change.

HonestScript likes this.
  15. HonestScript

Are you asking about one of my coins or are you talking about @paddyman98 's post?

Michael K likes this.
  16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I've yet to go up to a checkout with a bunch of groceries & what nots to be turned away for paying with rolls or loose change.
    I am nice enough to rewrap them if I'm gonna dump them like that though.

HonestScript likes this.
  17. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Home Depot self-checkout also takes halfs.

HonestScript likes this.
  18. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

I don't think I have seen fake 40% half but I have seen fake 40% Eisenhower dollars.
    I spend about $80 or so dollars in halves per week. Just pay with a short stack for any purchase of $7 or less (coffee, fast food) also when I buy gas I give a $20 and 3 or 4 dollars in halves. when I shop I always round up from 5 with halves ( $10.87 a ten and 2 halves, $29.95 a twenty, a 5 and 10 halves) I leave tips with halves. (make it a good tip, just because it is halves doesn't mean you can give less) People almost always like them. Maybe one in 100 will ask for "real" money and I will give them paper money.

HonestScript likes this.
  19. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

I haven't seen anyone say the easiest thing of all. re-roll them and bring them to a bank that you don't pick up from. tellers would be THRILLED if I only brought them $100 worth. I get 4 boxes at a time ($2000 worth).
    I wonder if someone in the higher up level that does the deposits knows to grab all the silver halves that people spend. I would LOVE to be THAT person.

HonestScript likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted