Featured Specimen stocks and bonds ... and a little history

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Jun 11, 2017.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Thanks for giving the thread a bump, James. I have very little Northern BNC material, but I'll keep you in mind. If you have any more background on the company, I encourage you to post it here.

I picked up representative specimens from a couple more obscure companies recently:

Quayle & Son - Oliver Quayle started this small engraving firm, probably in the late 1920s. They moved from Albany to New York City in 1934. Quayle printed some stock certificates and depression scrip, as well as engraved tickets for the 1932 and 1936 Democratic National Convention. By 1945, Northern Bank Note Co. had apparently obtained its printing plates.

Chicago Rock Island Pacific cu.jpg

Chicago Rock Island Pacific RR.jpg

Quayle imprint.jpg

New York Bank Note Co.
    - Formerly Kendall Bank Note Co., the company changed its name to NYBNC in 1888. Owner George Kendall was a small but irascible competitor against American Bank Note. When ABNC was unable to purchase NYBNC they did all they could to force it out of business. By the 1920s NYBNC was reduced to printing stocks and bonds for minor companies. By WWII the company had ceased operations.

Conley & McTague cow.jpg
    Conley & McTague specimen.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    midas1 and Cachecoins like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

I acquired some new specimens over that last year and a half!

Schenley Distillers Corp Common specimen.jpg Schenley Distillers Corp cu.jpg Great Northern Rwy. Equip. Trust specimen bond.jpg Great Northern Rwy. Equip. Trust specimen cu.jpg Standard Creameries cu.jpg Standard Creameries specimen.jpg McGraw Electric cu.jpg McGraw Electric specimen stock.jpg Central Illinois Light Co cu.jpg Central Illinois Light Co specimen stock.jpg

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. gsalexan

These last two were printed by a company that was unknown to me -- Schwabacher-Frey Co. of San Francisco. The frames on these are definitely engraved, but the central vignettes are lithographed. It's possible the company sub-contracted the engraved work to Hamilton Bank Note or one of the smaller security engraving firms, then did the rest of the work in-house. What became of this company is a mystery, but it appears they were most active in the 1940s.

First Nat Corp of Portland specimen stock.jpg First Nat Corp of Portland cu.jpg First Nat Corp of Portland imprint.jpg Pacific Coast Agg cu.jpg Pacific Coast Agg specimen.jpg

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Those colors are amazing :)

6. gsalexan

At long last, I finally obtained a specimen from the elusive British American Bank Note Company! This security printer was one of the oldest banknote firms in North America. Although very prolific, it's unclear what became of their archival specimens -- they are very hard to find in the secondary market and I was happy to add this one to my collection.

British American Bank Note Co. - BABNC was founded in 1866 by engraver Wm. C. Smillie and survived more than 130 years as an independent business. They printed a wide range of high-quality intaglio products: stocks, bonds, stamps, and currency, including a large number of Canadian chartered bank notes and some for other nations. In 1999, they were acquired by Giesecke+Devrient, which renamed the company BA International Inc. In 2012, BA International closed shop; it's former plant on Gladstone Avenue in Ottawa is now occupied by Canadian Bank Note Co.

Int'l Bronze Powders specimen stock.jpg
    Int'l Bronze Powders specimen cu.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted