Special Strike 1964 Lincoln in AU?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim Johns, May 13, 2016.

1. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

I've been reading up exclusively on the 1964 "SMS" Coin Set and have found a Jefferson so far. Now I came across this guy matching description of the SP Lincoln according to PCGS. Heavy Die Polish lines running vertically from rim to rim, random polish lines within the devices, sharp proof like rim...what's everybody think?? IMG_20160513_004058_opt.jpg IMG_20160513_004036_opt.jpg IMG_20160513_004012_opt.jpg IMG_20160513_003948_opt.jpg IMG_20160513_003704_opt.jpg IMG_20160513_003340_opt.jpg IMG_20160513_003223_opt.jpg IMG_20160513_003152_opt.jpg IMG_20160513_010940_opt.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Seems you just have a regular 64 that the die was heavily polished. After all they minted over 2.5 BILLION. Had to make them dies last as long as they could.
    Here's a link to a real 64 SMS - zoom into their pics to actually see the polishing lines arent as prominent (if at all visible) as yours plus the polish line on the reverse over the last S in STATES.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/sms-lincoln-cents/1964-1c-sms-ms65-red-pcgs/a/1124-1295.s

BadThad likes this.
  4. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Right. I've seen that one and used it for comparison. Keep in mind that picture is at 10x magnification at best and you can see the Polish lines. Mine is at 40x. Imagine the prominence of the"real" SMS polish lines under 40x. If anything, I assumed mine weren't strong enough by comparison.

5. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

And the proof rim?

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yours does not have a proof rim.

7. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

8. robec

robec Junior Member

No, the rims on your original post are rounded or beveled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BadThad likes this.
  9. robec

robec Junior Member

Has your Jefferson been authenticated? Can we see a photo?

These are extremely rare, with probably less than 20 of each known. Yet you think you have found a 1964 SMS cent and actually have found a 1964 SMS nickel from very rare mintage that is hiding somewhere within the regular 1964 population containing about 2 billion coins. You must be having the most incredibly lucky streak ever.

Markus1959 likes this.
  10. Markus1959

Well your picture of the rim is PROOF it isn't a SMS cent!

11. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Not within regular population. The nickels were in a sealed 1964 Roll straight from the US Treasury. It was sent out to NGC on Tuesday and I'm obviously waiting on a verdict. The pictures from my phone do not do justice but I got a 90% yes on the matter from a respected coin dealer in the area. If it comes back SMS, they may not be as rare as you think. Also got an Over Date 1964 I'm sending to Coneca on Monday. IMG_20160511_114505.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Seems to be a clear comparison between the 2 under the same light. Both 64's. Obviously one is a matte/satin finish. Maybe coincidence I guess. IMG_20160507_014656.jpg

13. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Hahaha that was a good one Mark

14. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

15. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

I know you can't see it well from the pic of the over date, but the top portion of the 5, yes FIVE is showing between the top of the 4. 1. It's a refinished die 2. It was restamped with a 4 because they had already prepared the 1965 dies and struck 1965's until July 23, 1965 when the date freeze for ALL coins was put into law. If you guys knew any more than "probably, possibly, and only 20" you should know about the fact that the freeze was for silver hoarding and originally had nothing to do with cents and Nickels. How many Over Dated 64's are out there? So far I have ONE! Good luck.

16. robec

robec Junior Member

I have no idea about 1964 overdates. I thought this discussion was about 1964 SMS coins.

17. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

It was just going along with my lucky streak I guess. The O.D. has the same characteristics in the polishing and devices of the Special Strikes. Could be coincidence but I know I read that they thought it had the same traits of a refinished die straight from a Hermitage Auction listing and PCGS themselves. The only refinished dies are typically the overdated of the past with the Buffalos. Look at a 1918/7 Buffalo with an MS65-66 grade and notice it's "normal" to be completely uncirculated, yet have the Nick's and marks that make it look like an AU. I've done my research on the matter and had my assumption 90% verified by a certified PCGS dealer. I just thought I'd share..

18. Markus1959

Don't forget to throw "90% verified" in with those too!!
    And a PCGS dealer is NOT a PCGS grading expert. If I sell PCGS graded coins I would technically be a PCGS dealer also!

19. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

OK Mark thanks. It was only 90% because he's not a grader, but he has seen one and im sure that's more than you have. You have to register to be on their listing of dealers. It's not an everybody does it kind of deal. Nonetheless, your attachment was me stating that the internet knowledge on the SP coins is just that: Internet Knowledge. Until you hold one in person or I spend $10k on a camera setup to compare directly to PCGS listings, it's pretty hard to compare every nook and cranny. Probably..we suspect
    ..most likely... That could never justify the price tag on these coins. Edit: Language violation to the point that you can argue with 100% certainty? Idk Ive just spent weeks researching and talking to a couple knowledgeable people that could see it in hand and it's definitely not a business Strike. Just trying to share.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  20. robec

robec Junior Member

With such a short run the diagnostics should be the same on every denomination. It should be very easy for PCGS (or which ever TPG you pick) to determine if it's the real deal.

21. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

The heavier polishing lines seem to show slight variations from coin to coin. It's more about the flow of the polish lines in general on the nickel. Also reports show PCGS has certified only 18 Nickels to date, but their actual SP number shows 63. There are more than 18 either way. Hopefully NGC will recognize mine as an SP so I don't have to send it off to PCGS next.

Draft saved Draft deleted