Special Seleukid elephant coin from Ekbatana

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Recently I have received a special coin from my favorite Seleukid king, Alexander I Balas. This coin is not only extremely rare (I found no specimens on acsearch.info, shops and coinarchives), but also it has a very special monogram, which I will explain below.

[​IMG]
    Alexander I Balas (152/1-145 BC). AE Tetrachalkon. Ekbatana mint, 150-147 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Diademed and draped bust of Alexander Balas right.
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY ΘEOΠATOPOΣ EYEPΓETOY (“of King Alexander, Son of a Divine Father and Benefactor”). Elephant standing right; ΔX monogram above.
    Reference: SC 1876; HGC 9, 894.
    Weight: 6.28g
    Size: 21mm
    Extremely rare.

First, what happened during the time this coin got minted? Parthia was a significant threat to the Seleukids, conflicts were common, and there are many obscure coin issues in the eastern mints, including the above coin, that were struck relative to these conflicts that are quite unique in character, probably issues related to the military operations that were either being planned or executed. Alexander I Balas' reign is noted for significant losses that were incurred from not only the Parthians (who conquered the region of Seleukid Media), but also the Elymaians in the areas around the Zagros mountains. In 147 BC the great king Mithridates I of Parthia invaded Media, which became very unstable after the Seleukids suppressed a rebellion led by the usurper Timarchos, and occupied Ekbatana. After this moment on, no Seleukid coins were ever minted in this city again.

[​IMG]

Now moving on to the special monogram on the coin, well before I start with this, I want to give a short introduction to the bronze denomination system of the Seleukid empire.
    The Seleukid bronze coinage had 5 bronze denominations, which fluctuated in size and weight over all the reigns of the Seleukid kings.
    [​IMG]
    The problem is that each city minted it's own bronze coinage, which resulted in coins with different size, weight and style. Therefore, a citizen who lived in a particular city, could not use his bronze coins to pay in another Seleukid city. Also, this made the bronze coinage entirely worthless, as there was no system where X amount of bronze coins is equal to X amount of silver coins.

King Antiochos IV decided to 'fix' this and to create a proper denomination system with a bronze-silver exchange rate. In Antioch on the Orontes he introduced, what most of you are familiar with, the Egyptian series!

The series consists of 4 denominations, with two new denominations: Denomination AA (octuple unit) and denomination AAA (obol).
    [​IMG]

The lowest Egyptian series denomination is equal to 1/8 of a silver obol (denomination B) and the highest denomination is equal to a whole silver obol.
    The smallest denomination of the Egyptian series:
    [​IMG]
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Antiochos IV Epiphanes. 175-164 BC. Æ (19mm, 8.76 g, 1h). “Egyptianizing” series. Antioch mint. Struck 169-168 BC. Diademed and radiate head right / Eagle standing right on thunderbolt. SC 1415; HGC 9, 655. VF, dark green patina.

This seemed to have fixed the problem, but then... Antiochos IV decided to make two separate denominations. In the eastern realm, cities such as Seleukeia on the Tigris and Antioch in Mydgonia (Nisibis) started to introduce the Chalkous denomination.

[​IMG]
    But what is so special to this Chalkous denomination series? All the coins are properly labeled by the corresponding denomination.
    See as example the coinage of Seleukeia on the Tigris.
    Tetrachalkon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See the ΔX on the obverse, Δ being the 4th letter in the alphabet and X for χαλκοῦς (Attic Greek) or χάλκεος (Ionic Greek), meaning Chalkous. In other words a tetrachalkon.
    The same system is applied for the Dichalkon and the Chalkous.

Dichalkon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Dichalkon has the BX monogram, B is the second letter of the alphabet, therefore a Dichalkon.

And finally, the Chalkous:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Chalkous shows an AX monogram, with A being the first letter in the alphabet, therefore it is only 1 Chalkous.

The Chalkous has an equal value to the smallest Egyptian series denomination. The Chalkous is therefore the same value as the Denomination B, which is equal to an 1/8 obol.
    But here the problem starts, the Egyptian series denomination B weights between 5.49 - 8.49g, while this Chalkous has an average weight of 3.77g.
    How can two bronze coins with different weights, have the same silver value? Well they can't and that is why this beautiful experiment of Antiochos IV failed, and the Chalkous coinage quickly disappeared after the reign of Antiochos IV.

Now, let's go back to my coin:
    [​IMG]

So, what does any of this has to do with my coin?
    This extremely rare coin is the only known coin type of a Seleukid ruler after Antiochos IV that reintroduced this Chalkous denomination.
    [​IMG]
    The coin bears the same ΔX monogram (4x Chalkous) as the tetrachalkon of Antiochos IV issued in Seleukeia on the Tigris. Therefore, this coin is not part of the normal Seleukid denomination series, but of the Chalkous denomination series.

It is interesting to note that this tetrachalkon issued under Alexander I Balas weights only 6.28g, while the tetrachalkon issued under Antiochos IV in Seleukeia on the Tigris had an average weight of 16.33g. This shows how much the bronze coinage debased over the years to follow after Antiochos IV.

Why would Alexander I Balas reintroduce this system of Antiochos IV? Perhaps because not only he claimed to be the son of Antiochos IV but also wanted to be an example of him. Or perhaps there was a special interest from the people of Ekbatana to use the Chalkous denomination series (as the usurper Timarchos, also used the Tetrachalkon denomination in Ekbatana).

I hope you enjoyed this write up, I know not many people here are interested in the Seleukid coinage, but I hope it was interesting for you.
    Also, do not forget to share coins related to this topic, like Seleukid elephant coins, coins from Alexander I Balas, coins from Antiochos IV, and perhaps coins of Mithridates I of Parthia?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Awesome write up and amazing coin! Truly one of a kind. I'd share a couple seleucid elephant shield coins but just shared them in another thread.
    Here's a Antiochos IV elephant coin:
    DF0051E4-B8BB-4ECE-95C4-54A6653EFAB6.png

Antiochos IV Epiphanes
    175-164 B.C. AE 13 (12.7 mm, 2.50 g, 11 h). Ake-Ptolemaïs mint, Struck 175-ca.173/2 B.C. Diademed, veiled and draped bust of Laodike IV right; monogram behind / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, head of elephant left; prow to lower right; monogram above elephant's trunk . SC 1477.2; Kadman 19; SNG Spaer 1102. VF

4. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Excellent post, @Pavlos...congrats on picking up a very unique coin. Very interesting write-up, I enjoyed it.

I have two coins of Antiochus IV, the large bronze has always been one of my favorites.

7122B633-0349-454B-8804-64B897AA39C8.jpeg

Antiochos IV Epiphanes, 175-164 BC. (AE, 20.5 mm, 6.33 g), Antioch on-the-Callirhoe (Edessa), quasi- municipal issue, 168-164. Radiate and diademed head of Antiochos to right. Rev. ANTIOXEΩN TΩN EΠI KAΛΛIPPOHI Zeus Aëtophoros standing left, holding scepter; MY monogram to outer left. ANS 1944.100.74281

8FBD33B0-48A8-4917-ABC7-3FDB43545265.jpeg

Antiochus IV Epiphanes, (AE 32mm, 35.39g). Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis right/ Rev. BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, Eagle standing right on thunderbolt.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    zumbly, ma-shops, Alegandron and 5 others like this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Fascinating writeup for your very cool new coin, thank you!

Alexander Balas, Apameia mint (7.40g, 19mm):
    Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 1.47.11 PM.jpg

Antiochos IV, "Egyptianizing" series (7.96g, 19mm, so 1/8 obol I guess):
    Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 1.49.22 PM.jpg

6. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Great write-up, Pavlos. Enjoyed it. Thanks for posting and congrats on the unique Ecbatana pick-up. A post-script could be a mention that the Parthians, who succeeded the Seleukids, continued to mint chalkoi, as well as dichalkoi and tetrachalkoi, at Ecbatana and other mints.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  7. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

My coin of Alexander Balas does not have a portrait:

4260228.jpg
    Alexander I Balas. 152-145 BC. Æ (13mm, 2.13 g, 12h). Antioch on the Orontes mint. Struck circa 150-146 BC.
    Obv: Aegis with gorgoneion, within circle of dots
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ [ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ]; Pegasos leaping right; monogram below.
    Refs: SC 1792.2
    ex-Classical Numismatic Group, e-auction 426, August 2018, lot 228

Unfortunately the name ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ is missing on my example.

The first published example of this type was by Pellerin in 1762. I was never able to figure out how he deduced the coin was Seleukid. It is now attributed to Antioch. No clue why; Newell did not include it in his book on Antioch.

Pegasos was mythologically the “child” of Medusa – born from her neck – and Alexander Balas claimed to be the child of Antiochos IV, a king who used the aegis as a coin reverse. It makes sense to strike types related to the types of the claimed father. Balas struck no other coins with Pegasos or the aegis, however. Houghton and Lorber note that thunderbolt iconography is prominent in Alexander Balas’ coinage and Athena is frequently represented on his bronze. The aegis could represent Athena, or thunder (or both I suppose!)

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Stunning coin Ed:wideyed:
    I've never seen the like before. Thanks for sharing!
    6BB2081F-DC8F-4E61-8A0C-2D36B492B8B4.gif

Alegandron and Ed Snible like this.
  9. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Congratulations on your hemiobol @Pavlos
    I never thought to look past Antiochus IV for a chalkous
    g281.jpg
    Antiochus IV
    Mint: Seleucia on the Tigris
    AE Dichalkon
    173/172 BC
    Obvs: Radiate head of Antiochus right, within fillet border. BX monogram behind head.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY, goddess with polos seated left on high-backed throne holding Nike. Bird standing left at feet, dotted border.
    20x21mm, 6.68g
    Ref: SC 1509

And one I probably haven't shown before.
    g187.jpg Alexander I Balas
    Unknown Mint 89
    AE Serrate
    150 to 145 BC
    Obvs: Diademed head of Alexander right within dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY, Prow of galley right.
    17mm, 4.2g
    Ref: SNG Isr.198.1439, SC 1814

10. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Pavlos - Congrats on the rare tetrachalkon, and thanks for the interesting writeup on the denominations and monograms with attractive coins. Here are two to share - one of Antiochus IV, and one of Antiochus VII.
    Antiochos IV epiphanes.jpg Seleukid Kings of Syria, Antiochos IV Epiphanes, 175-164 BC
    Æ 15-17mm, 3.35g, Antioch mint
    Struck circa 175-172 BC
    Obv: Veiled and diademed bust of Laodike IV right
    Rev: Head of elephant left; tripod behind, BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY
    Ref: SNG Spaer 969

Antiochus VII Isis & Eros.jpg Seleukid Kings, Antiochos VII Euergetes nicknamed "Sedetes" for his city of origin (138-129 BC), Æ19, 6.15g, Antioch on the Orontes, year 176 (137/6 BC)
    Obv: Winged bust of Eros right
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EYEPΓETOY Isis headdress; crescent and star below, IOP in exergue (date)

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

My Antiochos VI Elephant

[​IMG]

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

As requested:

PARTHIA:

[​IMG]
    Parthia 177-138 BCE AR Drachm Diademed draped bust Mithradates I left bashlik - archer seated on omphalos Sellwood 10.1

SELEUKID ELEPHANTS:

[​IMG]
    Seleukid Demetrios I Soter 162-150 BCE AE 17 serrate 16.8mm 3.9g Antioch on Orontes mint Horse Hd L - Elephant Hd R- SC 1646 SNG Spaer 1299-1304

[​IMG]
    Seleucid Seleucus I 312-280 BCE AR Tet 14.46g Seleucia on Tigris. Zeus - Athena driving a quadriga of 4 horned elephants SC 130

[​IMG]
    Seleucid Seleucus I 312-280 BCE AE 20 Athena-Elephant Spaer 129

Pavlos, Bing, David@PCC and 2 others like this.
  13. Pavlos

I saw your Seleukid elephants in the other thread, they are neat like all the other shield coins!

Thank you for sharing your cool coins! Both coins are very nice.

Thank you, and great coins. I still need to get most coins of the Egyptianizing series, including your cool 1/8 obol.

Thank you for sharing that, very interesting, I will do some more research. I actually am eager to find a nice coins from Mithridates I or perhaps Phraates II, but they don't come up on auction very frequently.
    A coin like this would be very nice to have: https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=335226

What a great coin, and definitely one of the more rare coins of Balas, and it is also a small denomination (probably denomination D from my head), which are more rare as well. Most of Balas his coinage is the bigger denomination B. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for sharing your coins! That Antiochos IV coin is stunning, absolutely great portrait. I still need to get my hand on one of those chalkous.

Very nice coins, thank you for sharing:)

Cool seleukid elephant, thank you for sharing.

Great assortment of elephant coins! I also really like that Mithridates I drachm.

14. Pavlos

I now also got my first dichalkon from the chalkous denomination series of Seleukeia on the Tigris by Antiochos IV that was mentioned in this write-up. So I thought it was appropriate to share it here!

[​IMG]
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes (175-164 B.C.) Æ Dichalkon, Seleukeia on the Tigris mint. Struck ca. 173-164 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Radiate, diademed head of Antiochus IV right; behind, BX (=dichalkon) monogram.
    Reverse: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXΟΥ (“of King Antiochos”). Goddess with polos seated on high-backed throne left, holding Nike and sometimes scepter, bird standing left at feet.
    Reference: SC 1509; HGC 9, 637.
    9.67g; 20mm

David@PCC, Sulla80, Bing and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted