Special Mint Sets - IDing the Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kanga, Apr 27, 2015.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

As nearly as I can tell from researching, once the coins in a SMS have been cracked out there's no way of telling if they came from a SMS.

Is that correct?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The coins have a different finish to them from business strikes. That's how you tell they came from a SMS. In some cases, it may be difficult to tell a late die stage SMS coin from an early die stage business strike, but usually in this case it's the business strike being mistaken for an SMS coin, much to the chagrin of someone submitting their 1967 half to a TPG hoping for a $4000 MS67 grade and getting a $40 SP67 (the grade assigned to an SMS coin) instead.

CONECA has cataloged doubled dies, along with their die markers, for modern coins, designating whether they are business strikes or SMS coins. In many cases, you could use these to disambiguate between the two, but this is only if it's not obvious by looking at the coin.

Paul M., Tom B and tommyc03 like this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Thanks.

I think mine are SMS coins for three reasons:
    a. they have a shine that approaches proof
    b. the steps are full or close to it
    c. I think I remember cracking them out to put into my album

5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I agree with what messydesk stated. To add to that: a wire rim is usually present on the sms coins, or atleast on one side. The BS coins wont usually have a sharp strike. But, there are exceptions, seems the 1965 sms coins have been the hardest to differentiate, for me atleast. I have a 1965 sms and if it wasnt still in the OGP i would argue that its a BS coin. It does NOT have mirrors, wire rims,sharp strike and appears dull, lifeless and flat looking.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

That is one of the first signs!

[not remembering, as a sure thing.]

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted