Special dime? Or is it just dirty?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Haley♡, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Haley♡

Haley♡ Member

So please dont make fun of me, as I am fairly new to coin collecting. But this dime looks unique to me. I'm probably crazy or it's just dirty but something seems different about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    received_655109312574451~3.jpeg received_641573467169826~4.jpeg received_641573467169826~3.jpeg

Southernman189, alurid and JPD3 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Yes ma'am, you have a very dirty coin, environmental damage.

We all started where you are, so no need to feel bad.

Keep educating yourself, learn the minting process and that will help you understand what you have. In the meanwhile, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Haley♡ …next time, tell us in what way the coin is unique or different. A better question would allow us to help you learn better.

As it is, members only see a dirty, environmentally damaged dime that has been dropped somewhere along the way.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Still worth 10 Cents
    The clad layer of Dimes, Quarters and Kennedy Halves are made of Cupro-Nickel. They tone when exposed to the elements. Also happens to Nickels.

Here are some of my many metal detected examples
    20210620_080840(1).jpg 20190519_144911-1.jpg

Also.. And just a suggestion. Try the US Coins or Error Coins forum instead of the What's it Worth forum of CoinTalk.

The most important thing is to learn what you may have first.. Worry about value or a premium afterwards.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not an error but you’re correct, it’s dirty.

7. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

welcome to coin talk, EVERYONE here was new at one point. we all had questions and had to learn (some like me with hard knocks and still learning after 50 years). Keep looking, read all you can read about all coins then won't be long we'll be asking YOU about coins one day, oh and that coin is just a well used dime that was found outside at one time or other. worth 10 cents.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

ED, or environmental damage, as already mentioned.
    As @Spark1951 said, try to tell us what you are seeing that leads you to believe it is different, so we can scrutinize that factor and give you the best possible answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted