WTS: Special ancient coin catalogs, Greek AE, Roman Imperial

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Valentinian, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I love my library and have it categorized by topic. Most sale catalogs are ho-hum, but some are special because of their particular emphasis. Here are some duplicate (I am keeping my copies!) sale catalogs of interest to collectors of Greek AE and of Roman imperial coins. These three are of special interest: Trau, Niggeler III, and Gutknecht.

Sammlung Trau reprint: "Sammlung Franz Trau: Munzen der Romischen Kaiserzeit" ("Roman Imperial Coins" in German) 130 pages and 53 crammed page plates of very high quality coins, including many sestertii, gold, medallions, and rarities. The original auction was in 1935 and the photos seem to be of casts. (2 photos below). Nice condition. [$173 on Amazon! $35 here, with PR, SOLD]

Sammlung Walter Niggeler, 3. Teil "Kaiserzeit Nach Augustus" 1967. 525 high-quality lots including many fine sestertii, medallions, rarities, argentei, late Roman gold, and most impressively, 17 controniates. All are well-photographed in B&W. Nice condition. (2 photos below) [$49 on vcoins. $27 here, with PR]

"Sammlung Hans Hemann Gutknecht" sold by M&M GMBH, auction 17, October 2005 is much different. The collection has 1148 Greek AE, all photographed in B&W and 4 page plates of them in color too. These are not high-value coins, rather a remarkably broad selection. It is hard to find good references for Greek AE, and this is a good addition to a library (the last photo below). For much less than the cost of one coin you can see what an extensive collection might look like. Nice condition [$12, SOLD, with PR]

Shipping (in the US only) is $4 for one, or $5 for two or more.
    For other numismatic literature, see: http://augustuscoins.com/numislit.html

Trau1.jpg Trau2.jpg Niggler1.jpg Niggler2.jpg Gutknecht.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017