Spare a half penny? Scottish and English hammered coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clonecommanderavgvsvs, May 24, 2021.

1. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Clonecommanderavgvsvs Well-Known Member

Recently picked up a Half penny of William I D974F402-DE38-4B37-A740-C5AB75BF3041.jpeg 06AF3054-2E5F-4827-A6D5-4E337744D044.jpeg SCOTLAND, William I 'The Lion'(1165-1214), Cut Halfpenny, 0.62g., Short Cross and Stars coinage, Phase B (c.1205-c.1230), the Edinburgh and Perth moneyers Hue and Walter,

Halving and quartering pennies to make change was the standard until the reign of Henry iii, lwhen he produced the first farthings, though these are very rare and only 5 exist. The first mass produced ones fall under the reign of Edward I, the hammer of the Scots ironically. B94DD28A-5E11-4A6D-82C8-A4831DEA2BDE.jpeg BE95FE63-AE9B-4078-8384-9563394343C3.jpeg
    England, Edward I, 1272-1307, Farthing, London, S-1450, N1058, North Class 10, Withers 28d

TheRed, ominus1, +VGO.DVCKS and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Even the EIII farthings are quite scarce. I’ll have to image them sometime but I have a hoard of cut farthings and halfpennies that must have been buried late in the 13th century in northern England, has a few Scots and even a Scandinavian amongst them. The thing with cut coins is that you can often come up with some fiendishly scarce stuff that gets overlooked because people usually prefer whole coins

TheRed, +VGO.DVCKS and The Eidolon like this.
  4. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Clonecommanderavgvsvs Well-Known Member

Awesome hoard I’d love some pics sometime. I’ve seen imitations and original pennies dug in the Netherlands and Belgium from Scotland and England. They had a currency Union almost due to the large wool trade.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Yes, those continental imitations are really cool, basically all that was different was the name of the monarch. Most people then were illiterate and coins traded by weight so it really didn't matter if the coin was a acceptable weight.

6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That it's a very nice cut halfpenny of William the Lion @Clonecommanderavgvsvs I would love to add one to my collection of cut half-pennies one day. As of now I have yet to add any Scottish ones.

I agree with you @scottishmoney they are a great way to pick up hard to find mints, moneyers, and classes. My most recent cut halfpenny, minted during John's time on the throne, is from the mint of King's Lynn. It had been labeled as a Henry III cut halfpenny which helped it fly under the radar. The coin cost me anywhere from 1/10th to 1/20th what a penny minted at King's Lynn would.
    kingslynn.jpg
    My dream is to find a Richard I cut halfpenny from Lichfield on ebay one day and snap it up for next to nothing. I keep my eyes out for LIHEF'L.

Draft saved Draft deleted