Spanish Coin-1745- Whats it worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DDown, Sep 8, 2013.

1. DDown

DDown New Member

My mom found this coin when she was a little girl and has been holding on to it every since. I have no idea what its worth. All that I can tell is that it says "Vtraque Vnum" and is from 1745. Does anyone know that history behind this? and how much it might be worth? IMG_2709.jpg IMG_8519.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice coin mom found !:)!
    I just hope it was not found in sand on a beach in Florida . As a lot of No Marked Copy.
    We call tell how much it should weight .but what tell you the real value
    Is Ngc or Pcgs .:)Welcome to Coin talk !

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If real, it's an old 8 reales coin minted in Mexico. They were used in world commerce as the standard form of money in their time. Even by the colonies which eventually became the United States, and until we authorized our own currency as a nation. In it's condition, around $100+ as a collector piece. These were also referred to as "pieces of eight" in pirate folklore.

jello likes this.
  5. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I say cast copy worth $1

6. DDown

DDown New Member

Why do you say that? I'm not an expert but from my research it looks legit. But please let me know if it is fake, its been in this family for so long its still worth alot to us :)!

7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

What makes this coin a fake? And why would it be a fake if found on a beach in Fla.?

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree with the man, I'd bet money it's fake. What makes it fake ? The way it looks, fakes have a certain look and this one most definitely has it. The rough surface, the bumps and pits all over the place. When you've seen enough of them you recognize them at a glance.

And why would a fake be found on a beach in Florida ? Because hundreds of tourists & kids either throw them away on the beach or bury them in the sand hoping to fool somebody in the future. It happens every day.

Seattlite86, ernie11 and jello like this.
  9. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Thanks Doug. I never owned one. I'm looking at the 8 reale as a future purchase. I would like one older than 1792 or so but have no idea what to focus on. Still learning about this type of coin.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When you're ready to buy one, look here - http://www.sedwickcoins.com/ - and you won't have to worry about it being a fake, or being over-priced ;)

11. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

thanks, that's a great website.

12. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Doug thanks, that's a great website. AAA+++

13. Kristianna

Kristianna New Member

Can you tell me what this rare coin might be worth, BALLPARK

Attached Files:

14. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Welcome to Cointalk! Can you weigh it in grams? It's either a cast fake or has serious seawater damage, unfortunately I'm guessing the former.

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the coin appears to be a cast counterfeit. They crop up from time to time. Here’s one that I flagged that was consigned in my local club’s auction.

1760 Fake Pillar Dollar O.jpg 1760 Fake Pillar Dollar R.jgp.jpg

Here is an example of the real thing.

1763 Pillar Dollar O.jpg 1763 Pillar Dollar R.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

+1

17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yep Kristianna..... Fellows are steering you right. Sorry it isn’t the real deal. But welcome to the hunt!

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Necro threaded.

Draft saved Draft deleted