Spanish Cob? Info Please!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by frans ferdinand, Oct 14, 2018.

?

Is it real?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2018.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hello. The bezel is tested at 14k gold and there are no holes in the coin. Hope it's real! Any one know what decade this was made and where is was minted? It's about the size of a Morgan dollar.
    20181012_100534.jpg 20181012_100549.jpg 20181012_100534.jpg 20181012_100549.jpg

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well that’s cool. Quite a few cast or toy cobbs show up here. But yours may very well be the real deal..... Size of a silver dollar would mean your is an eight reales. To my knowledge the largest silver Cobb struck. The date is often on the obverse and reverse and have a tendency to be worn away. Once the date is gone they are most valuable as jewelry items as it appears yours was relegated to. I won’t hesitate a value. While full of historical significance they often don’t bring huge returns unless they are documented and tied to an historical shipwreck. Google Sedgwick Coins. Daniel Sedgwick is the recognized expert on these and he shows many many examples on his website. Many with values attached.

ominus1 and Mojavedave like this.
  4. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Looks like an 8 Reale cob, but hard to tell. It is badly worn, and I am not seeing a mint mark or year. Similar design features to my 8 Escudo.

824A9DFC-9F74-4C7B-BC5F-0BDB805255AA_zps7xmbvvc5.jpg

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Ha! It is without the G. And I know that. My blasted spell fixer on my phone decided to add the “G” without my approval!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    wcoins likes this.
  7. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

I'm no expert in Spanish cobs, but I do have an interest.

I see no red flags on your cob, but it's often difficult to tell, particularly for the very worn types.

It appears to be a a shield and cross type cob from the Potosi mint, although I can't make out the assayer. Regardless, because of the type and mint, it would have had to be minted before 1652.

P.S - as others have mentioned, Daniel Sedwick is the expert in this and is always willing to give an opinion on authenticity

wcoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted