Spanish 8 Reales, educate me

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 01mikep, Oct 7, 2012.

1. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

I have been collecting coinage from Spain for a couple years now. Most of my focus has been on Pesetas back to 1869 in the 5, 2, and 1 Peseta denominations. One area I have a lot of interest but have stayed away on purpose until I am better educated is the 2, 4, and 8 Reales.

With so many fakes around and so many variations, it is an intimidating series to step into. I have read alot of educated comments here by Coin Talk members who oviously know what they are talking about. For those in the know, what is a good source to learn about this series. I have looked around the web and have not seen anything detailed. I would love to find a few good books on the topic but have not come across anything that looks like what I am looking for.

I go to Spain 2-3 times a year and I try to go to a few shops each time. I would like to know what I am looking at next time. Thanks in advance.

MikeP

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This will help some - http://www.cointalk.com/t14112/

But books will do a lot more. But it depends on the type of coins and or time period that you want to learn about as to what books you need. For the very basic information the Krause catalogs will give you what you need. Krause even makes one that covers only Spain and Portugal. That issue covers not only Spanish domestic coinage but Spanish colonial as well, back to 1600.

After that you need specialty books. Some will only cover the coins of a single mint, while others will cover all mints, and still others will cover only Spanish colonial mints. Two of the best books on Spanish colonial are - Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins - 1536-1773 by Sewall Menzel. And, The Milled Columnarios Of Central And South America - 1732-1773 by Frank Gilboy.

But each of these will cost you a pretty penny.

Draft saved Draft deleted