Spain: gold half-escudo of Ferdinand VI, 1759-JB, Madrid mint

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 23, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 9

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. 8

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. 7

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. 6

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Spain: gold half-escudo of Ferdinand VI, 1759-JB, Madrid mint
    [​IMG]
    Obverse: FERDINAND * VI * D * G * ; bust, right, with hair behind neck.
    Reverse: Crowned arms of Spain.
    Issuer: Ferdinand VI, King of Spain (1746-1759).
    Specifications: .917 fine gold, 0.0498 oz. AGW. 15 mm, 1.69 g. Madrid mint (crowned "M" mintmark). Mintage: 95,048.*
    Grade: PCGS XF40, cert. #85188590.
    Reference: KM-378, PCGS-712996, Numista 26320.
    Provenance: ex-Globe Coins, Israel, 7 June 2017.*
    Notes: The 1759-M Spanish half-escudo with "JB"* mintmasters' initials is the key date for the KM378 type.
    Comments: I was initially unaware that this was a key date coin when I bought it. I had been drawn to it by its attractive orange toning and reasonable price. It was a lucky purchase. Perhaps PCGS was a tiny bit indulgent with the XF40 grade; I might have called it Choice VF, personally. But I suspect they make allowances for early gold. And with the nice toning, there's no doubt it should price at XF level.
    Additional images

023990S

Cachecoins, Heavymetal, tibor and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Definitely one of my favorite coins you've bought lately.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

I've had this one for three years (goes to show you how far behind I am on my writeups!) But I did pick up a (slightly later) full escudo with similar toning quite recently. (In fact, it has not yet arrived from Spain as of this typing.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I love any coin from Spain! A 10!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Nice coin but this one is right in the middle for me at a 5 (maybe I'm a bit biased after seeing the city view first).

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

For the record, JB on this 1759 half escudo refers to the two “ensayadores”, (assayers, mint-masters) J for Joseph Tramullas y Ferrer and B for Bernardo Muñoz de Amador.

Tramullas worked in the Barcelona mint from 1735 until he was appointed second or junior ensayador in Madrid in 1744 under Antonio de Cardeña, hence AJ on Madrid coins until 1747 when Cardeña died and Tramullas signed alone, J, until May 1747 when he was appointed Ensayador Primero and Bernardo Muñoz was appointed as second ensayador.

The two worked together from 1747, marking their initials JB until Muñoz died in January 1759 when Tramullas once again marked with his sole initial until 14th September 1759 when he was promoted to the top post of Ensayador del Reino.

Thus there are three separate mint masters marks and four varieties for 1759:

JB Joseph Tramullas & Bernardo Muñoz: 95,048 half escudos Fernando VI

J Joseph Tramullas: 852,948 half escudos Fernando VI

J Joseph Tramullas: 47,002 half escudos Carlos III

JP Juan Rodríguez Gutiérrez (1st ensayador) & Pedro Cano (2nd ensayador) : 286318 half escudos Carlos III

Source: Casa de Moneda de Madrid, Cantidades Acuñadas y Ensayadores, 1614-1868 by Glenn Stephen Murray Fantom, published 2014 by Amigos de la Casa de la Monea de Segovia.

cmezner likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Thank you for that information! I did a few cursory Google searches (in English) and failed to come up with anything. Thanks for providing both the names and the mintage!

9. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@lordmarcovan You can find the publication by Murray, Glenn: Guía de los marcos acuñados y ensayadores de la Casa de la Moneda de Madrid (1615-1868) at
    http://www.siaen.org/documents/10901/11639/1993+-+233/e5089b3f-7a6b-4285-bf5b-e64896f71835

On page 331 (see attached) there is the number 728 followed by a black square, which stands for "Moneda conocida, marcos acuñados". As far as I understand that means there are 728 "marcos acuñados". Don't know if that is the number of dies or the mintage or something else, maybe you can figure it out.:confused: Your ½ Escudo is very beautiful and it seems to be scarce. Congrats, well done !!:happy:

Attached Files:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Thanks! It cost me less than $200 before slabbing. Krause XF price is $500, so even if that turns out to be inflated, I feel it was a great bargain.

cmezner likes this.
  11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice one! That coin has beautifull toning! Congrats on nice addition. Here is mine from 1764. lf - 2020-06-23T221953.991.jpg lf - 2020-06-23T222005.868.jpg
    John

NOS, tibor and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

panzerman likes this.
  13. panzerman

Thanks! I only have little time now, my work is super hectic/ put in 54 days straight/ 13 hrs+. Had a mild heat stroke yesterday, its been hot/ humid/ 30+celsius last ten days. I usually work on my auction bids after supper, 10:30-11:00 PM. I was able to score 22 AV coins in past two months.

kazuma78, lordmarcovan and tibor like this.
  14. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

The "marco castellano" was the standard weight for gold and silver, equivalent to 230 grams. A mint or casa de moneda would be supplied with x number of marcos and in the case of silver had to produce 67 reales.

For gold, between 1535 and 1771, a mint had to produce 68 escudos in 1, 2. 4 or 8 escudos of 22 carat gold.

The half escudo, from 1742 to 1786 was minted with 21 carat gold and weighed 1.762 gms. There were 130.56 half escudos to the marco.From 1786 onwards the gold in the half escudo was lowered to 20 carats

Weights were always very strictly controlled and mints were only permitted a tolerance equivalent to 0.899 gms of silver and 0.29 gms of gold per marco

panzerman and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. panzerman

The Escudos coinage was of .875 fineness/ compared to British gold guineas/ sovereigns which where of .916 (21 carats) Dukaten .986 used in Swiss Cantons/ German States/ HRE.

16. lordmarcovan

Hm. Krause/Numismaster/NGC says .917 fine for this type. Numista, too?

17. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

Glen Murray, author of two well documented books on the mints of Segovia and Madrid (among other works) says without any hesitation that 1/2 escudos were 21 carat.

What us your source, Panzerman?

18. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

PS While it is a very useful tool, especially in areas where I am not an expert, I have come across errors in Numista more than once.

19. lordmarcovan

I've been wary of that (and heaven knows the Krause/Numismaster/NGC site is utterly riddled with errors), but often one source will come in handy where the other is sparse in detail. So I usually cite both.

20. panzerman

Sorry about confusion/ I must confess that I am stupid. I always thought that Escudo coinages from Latin American/ Colonial period where .875. But, I now know that the Spanish mints changed to .875 after Carlos III/ Ferdinand VI and earlier Kings issued .917 gold coinage. So Lordmarcovan and all others where correct. Thanks all for educating me, always learn something on forum:)
    John

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Don't feel bad- I didn't really know, myself. All I knew was what I read on those two sources I linked to.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted