Spain export tax

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by abc123, Aug 2, 2020.

1. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I’ve noticed one VCoins seller now has the following message accompanying his listings, “Outside of Spain there may be export and customs charges.”

I contacted him to learn more and was informed that the Ministry of Culture has ordered new forms be filed to obtain export licenses for any coin greater than 100 years old being sold outside of Spain. Experts meet one day per month to review for approval. He says this is based on “the coins they think are available for definitive exportation. In this cases (about 99% of the coins).” There will be a cultural tax of 5% sales price added to be covered by the client or buyer.

It isn’t clear to me what export approval will be based on. Has anyone seen anything about this? I haven’t been able to locate any information online. Interested to learn greater details and if this is a Spain-specific move or something to be followed by other cash-strapped EU countries. Thanks!

Spaniard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I wonder when this took effect, because I've ordered a number of coins from Spanish dealers in the last few months, without their having to obtain any export licenses or my having to pay any "cultural tax" whatsoever. If it's new, that's one more country I won't order from -- not so much because of the tax, but because of the long delays, regardless of the reason.

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

The export listing note first registered with me on July 30 or 31. Can't say how much earlier it may have been there.

Spaniard likes this.
  5. DonnaML

I placed my last order from Spain -- which arrived after two days via DHL Express without any export license or "cultural tax" -- on July 4. So if this is actually new and something that's being enforced, it must have been enacted since then.

Spaniard and abc123 like this.
  6. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

This is the first I've heard about export tax from Spain.....
    Out of the 7 sellers on vcoins from Spain only 1 has stipulated this taxation.....I suppose it will also depend on whether the seller ID's the content of the package as Ancient Coins/Artifacts or as is normally practised 'tokens' or another form of description..
    I have noticed over the last few days that there have been some heavy fines on metal detectorists down and around the Cadiz area, where large collections have been confiscated etc...But this is quite recent...Saying that, maybe the anti MD'ing laws have finally hit home!...It's quite possible that this law has actually been around for a long time!...I'll have a dig around and see what I can find out..

abc123 and DonnaML like this.
  7. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Thank you, Spaniard. I’ve since found Jesus Vico makes mention of the export license and tax on its Terms and Conditions page.

In accordance with the Spanish Historical Heritage Law 16/85 of June 25, an export license must be requested for those pieces over 100 years old. If the buyer is resident in a country that does not belong to the European Union, he must assume the corresponding export tax stipulated in said law: https://www.culturaydeporte.gob.es/cultura/patrimonio/exportacionimportacion/exp ortacion / rates .html Likewise, the buyer is responsible for observing the customs and exchange regulations in force in Spain. The auction organizers decline all responsibility for the possible consequences of non-compliance with said provisions.

The link provided by Jesus Vico doesn't work for me but doing a Google search on "Spanish Historical Heritage Law 16/85 of June 25" leads me to believe this is legislation dating back to 1985. @Spaniard may very well be right that is only now that enforcement has begun and Spanish coin firms are beginning to abide.

Spaniard likes this.
  8. Spaniard

Well everyone I speak to out here seems to know that this law exists and has done for many years, and then they shrug their shoulders!....So I assume it will come down to the dealer.....At the moment I can't see anything changing..

DonnaML and abc123 like this.
  9. abc123

abc123 Active Member

10. DonnaML

Lucernae, a VCoins dealer in Spain from whom I've made purchases several times, has, within the last week or two, added the following to its description of every coin:

"Shipments to destinations outside of Spain (both in the EU and in third countries) are subject to export licensing, but only those from third countries will be charged at a rate of 5%.

Shipments are likely to be subject to delays depending on administrative timelines derived from the application for the export permit process."

So obviously there has, in fact, been a recent change in the enforcement of the export license requirement. Plus the 5% export tax charged to buyers outside the EU. A dealer like Lucernae is hardly likely to have started enforcing these requirements voluntarily. It's really too bad, because every time I've ordered a coin from Lucernae they've sent it to me in New York via DHL Express, and it's arrived within a few days. Who knows how long it will take now that an export license has to be applied for each time? Hopefully something short of forever! Never mind the extra cost.

Spaniard likes this.
  11. Spaniard

....I've just been on his sight and flicked through 20 coins and haven't seen this addition nor in their 'Terms'..?? I must be looking in the wrong place.
    Edit...Yep its there only on all his new coins...

DonnaML likes this.
  12. DonnaML

Sorry for the confusion. I saw the notice on several of his new coins and assumed he had added it to all his coins.

13. Spaniard

I think your correct Donna that 'something' has been passed very recently!..I can't seem to find anything related to it at the moment though....The other Spanish dealers such as Marti and Prados don't seem to have stated any new terms on their recent stock...But as I said before it will depend on the dealer and how they interpret the new circumstances?....I buy from Marti a lot as he's only 40 mins away from me so I'll try to speak with him over the next couple of days and get back to you and abc123

DonnaML likes this.
  14. DonnaML

Thanks. In addition to Lucernae, I've bought from Marti more than once as well. Also from Aeternitas. There are lots of really nice Roman coins for sale in Spain! The dealers also seem friendlier to me than the German dealers. But that could just be my imagination! So it would really be a shame if it turns out that it's now more difficult and complicated to buy from Spain.

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Spaniard

Just had a reply back from Marta Roldan....Head of Aeternitas Numismatics...
    Thought I'd pass on the information....

Well, the law is not new. At least in Spain was approved in 1985. But I think in the last times the goverments is forcing to accomplish it more than in past years.

According to the Spanish law (other EU countries laws are similar) an "out of EU" customer must pay a 5% of the value of the coin if the price of it is below 6000 eur (percentage increase for higher prices). That 5% must be paid to the Culture Department, who will extend the appropiate export permit. The time necessary to extend that permit depend on each country. In Spain goes from 15 days to 40 days. So, theorically, an "out of EU" customer must wait 15 to 40 days before its coin be shipped and pay a 5% of the value of the coin.
    Export permits are approved in the great majority of the cases. In the case of Spain, only very high rarity Spanish coins (very expensive accordingly) can have a risk of permit denial.

Best regards!

Marta Roldan
    Aeternitas Numismatics

DonnaML and Alegandron like this.
  16. DonnaML

I have received this explanation from Lucernae of when it does or doesn't have to apply for an export permit and charge the 5% export tax to non-EU customers, in response to my inquiry about a coin I recently purchased from them:

"In this case, we did not applied the export licenses because this coin was not bought from the local (spanish) market but arrived us from outside Spain (import coin). As an import coin, we did not need export licenses. In other case if you buy some coin from Spain the export license tax you need to pay is the 5 % of the price."

As I understand this, then, it depends on whether or not the coin a dealer is shipping from Spain to the USA (or to another non-EU location) was originally found or acquired in Spain. If so, a permit and the 5% tax are required. If not, then no permit or tax is required.

abc123 likes this.
  17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have received coins in past from Cayon/ Marti&Harvarti/ Herrero/ Vico/ Aureo&Calico....never extra charges.

18. DonnaML

So have I. This is something that Lucernae started to mention only a few months ago.

19. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I’m pretty conflicted on this. On one hand it’s very good to have restrictions on the exportation of ancient artifacts; artifacts without archaeological excavation and cataloging are all but worthless.

On the other hand... these are coins which were made in the billions (in the aggregate). These aren’t bronze statue originals, these are coins. It’s a tough call in how restrictive Europe should be.

As a (failed) archaeologist myself, I would demand that all antiquities native to a country or region be excavated legally and professionally. That simply isn’t feasible though, and at a certain point you need to draw the line.

DonnaML likes this.
  20. ColonialCoinsUK

ColonialCoinsUK Well-Known Member

I hope people do not mind me contributing here - I have only recently joined CT although I have been following things, including ancients, for many years.

As my collection falls under world coins I was not expecting to be impacted by this but my last auction win from Spain, which was only a couple of hundred years old, did require an export permit which was a first and I buy many coins from Spain. I am currently waiting for a similar coin from a recent Italian auction (where the limit seems to be 70 years now) and this is looking to be a 3 month wait. Being in the UK, and as we are still part of the EU for the moment, I have not yet been hit with any export fee. :D For me it does seem to be a bit random whether the auction house applies this or not, two in Italy always do but so far the others haven't but that may be that the coins I have been buying are not ancients. Japan also charges export fees, particularly annoying when you are buying a British coin!:(

Despite my interests in ancients I have so far resisted buying any as I know that it will be the start of another slippery slope, although I am always drawn to Corinthian staters and the Iberian horseman and as I live and work very close to Hadrian's wall I am surrounded by Roman's!

Fugio1 and DonnaML like this.
  21. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I missed this thread when it was posted last year, I should pay more attention. I won a lot in the Soler y Llach sale yesterday and was surprised by the export fee on the invoice. This combined with their increase in buyers commission to 22% made my coin a bit more expensive than expected (though I would still have bid as high had I known). It does not appear that this was revealed in the terms published on the auction portals sixbid and NumisBids, but going to their website, it is the last item in their terms of sale. With a link to the Cultural Heritage page where the rules are explained. My single lot was less than 6000 Euro but I would have really been surprised were my winnings more. Here are the Tax percentages:
    • Up to 6,000 euros: 5%.
    • From 6,001 to 60,000 euros: 10%.
    • From 60,001 to 600,000 euros: 20%.
    • From 600,001 onwards: 30%.
    These days, 6000 euros is not a very high threshold for some collectors.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted