Space Coinage~The Final Frontier

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eric the Red, Nov 12, 2021.

1. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

You're the best!

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Kazakhstan (home of the Baikonur Cosmodrome, launch site for Soviet/Russian space exploration) has issued a series of commemoratives honoring some of their missions:
    Apollo-Soyuz.jpg Buran.jpg Venera 10.jpg

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The first Mongolian astronaut:

[​IMG]
    Mongolia 1 Tugrik 1981 - Soviet-Mongolian Space Flight

Mongolian Cosmonaut Gurragchaa Jugderdemid flew on the Soviet Soyuz-39 on March 22, 1981.

:)

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@alurid Are those gemini IV medals in white metal? or are they in brass/bronze?
    upload_2021-11-13_10-5-51.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-13_10-6-17.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-13_10-6-54.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-13_10-7-11.jpeg

12. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

This a Fliteline medal from GT-3, the first crewed (Gus Grissom and John Young) flight of the Gemini program. It is about the size of a nickel and it has Grissom family provenance. The patch accompanied the medal.

Attached Files:

13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great topic, nice medals, thanks for sharing.

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm not posting so you can taze and abduct me as with your advance technology, I'm sure I'd come back in better shape. LOL

15. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

17. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

18. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Each and every one of the entries are very special to me. I was in the U.S. Army during the Space Race from 1968 - 1970. Even though I did not have to go to combat, I saw the many shows on each evening so I could enjoy what our astronaut went through to get off the ground, go around the Earth many times and then go to the Moon. I wanted to be a part of the NASA program, but found that I did not have the qualifications they were looking for. They sought men and women that had a great deal of training and education. I was not the brightest bulb in the lamp (so to speak) It seemed that during my military career, I would have to play army when the great steps of space exploration occurred. I watched on the TV the progress was going through. I knew I would have to become educated in the sciences and mathmatics and to excel in them for them to look at you. I zigged when I should have sagged when I got my education. I was great in Math. I was 5th in my class in college of about 500 graduates in accounting and business. However, others were numbered in the top 3 of their class. After I finished my first 2 years of college and was beginning my junior year at a major university, I took the Air Force aptitude exam and I was told that I was in the top 3%. They told me that I would need to have a flight physical to get into the Air Force ROTC program and if I passed my physical, I would have to go to Officer Training Program at a base in Texas.
    I was really doing well in everything and then something happened...the war in Vietnam was over and the Air Force was not recruiting new pilot candidates and that many of the current pilots were being a reduction in force. I was told that they would still like me to come into the Air Force, but not as a pilot. All of the defeated the purpose I took during that summer. Also, I was told that I would have to stay in the Air Force for 6 years or more working in an accounting program.
    That STANK!
    However, I was still interested in the Space Program, no longer as a pilot, but working in their production field...whatever that was. I told them No Thanks.
    However, 2019 was a great year for Space coins. I think I bought every Space coins that the Mint produced that year. The only foreign country space coin was for Canada. I'm still looking for other space coins, so, if anyone know where there are any space coins, Please let me know. I sure would appreciate it.

19. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

I much appreciate your service in the US armed forces Jim Thank you for serving. I think you would have made a splendid astronaut:)

20. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Thank you. I love this website. I have been collection coins since 2009. My Dad died in 1997 but Mom kept everything as it was, which I can understand. When my brother and I divided up Dad's coins, I found he had a lot of junk. Anyway, we divided it up, and I started my research of coin collecting. I spend hours and days trying to learn a grow. I have met many other collectors that have been very helpful. One such recommendation has been the recommendation given to me to join ANA, which I did. It has been an exciting and eventful journey. Many people have been helpful, such as with your kind words and other people on ANA. I take baby steps when I need to learn and learn to do. I wouldn't be honest if I told you that I didn't make mistakes. I have made many mistakes...so I could fix, and others that led me down a "dark hole" When I started buying coins, I got into a spending freenzy and I made financial mistakes..one after another. I bought several gold coins that were not appropriate for the path I wanted to go down. Currently, I am in a position that I need to find a way to take smaller purchases and have someone that I can contact for advice before I spend money on a gold coin that does not have a strong background in collecting, but will know of those that have a strong background in coin collecting...some one that I can go to when I see a coin that I would think would be able to help me.
    Again, thank you for all of your help and recommendations and I look forward to a relationship that I would like to be able to help in finance and/or collecting or buying.
    Again, thanks for all your help tonight.

21. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Here are a couple I could find quickly. I’ve never really looked into the Neil Armstrong piece. The Russian coin and medal set live in the box that I set them on for the pics.

upload_2021-11-14_20-29-49.jpeg

upload_2021-11-14_20-30-3.jpeg

upload_2021-11-14_20-30-19.jpeg

upload_2021-11-14_20-30-34.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted