Sovereigns

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Exbrit, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

If I started again, I would focus on the harder to find and rare issues.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

What I intend to do is sort my sovereigns, identify duplicates and common ones, sell them at bullion or slightly above (I'm sure) and every year really go after a handful of the scarce/rare dates I've always wanted or even try to upgrade to higher grade coins.

I believe future values lie in rare coins. If one wants bullion, just buy Pamp or Swiss :)

4. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

I was considering collecting one for each portrait. Higher graded common coins would probably creep into the set if I didn't stay focused. I already found myself straying - and placed a bid on a James I. He was the one that shelved the early sovereigns, for about 200 years, and created the Unite. Very nice coin that sold for at least double my bid - which I thought was reasonable.

5. 1934 Wreath Crown

I would like to say "Yes do that' hoping you will use up some of your excess cash collecting different portraits and won't be able to outbid me on some coins that we might be competing for at online auctions :happy:. But I cannot justify saying that.

I find that the problem with concentrating on portraits or series or Monarchs is that one tends to buy several unwanted coins. One might unconsciously expand the collection to Mints, dies, Reverse designs etc. etc. and then the list never ends.

If one decides on a maximum budget for each coin then I suppose the objective would be to collect something for each portrait or year and one can possibly avoid the very expensive options like a 1908 Canada mint or an 1819 sovereign(unattainable for most of us).

But if the objective is to build a desirable and valuable collection then IMHO, the focus has got to be on the most wanted and hence, rarest coins.

I agree with your concept of buying other coins (half sovereigns, guineas, unites, angels etc.), if the price is right, and selling them for more to fund the original objective of ones collection. I often do that myself when I see a good bargain, but I try to resist the temptation if it will prevent me from buying what I really want.

Over the years I have changed my focus from silver to gold coins but there are some silver coins that I felt I had to have in my collection and have patiently added them. I guess what I am trying to say is perhaps being flexible can be more rewarding both financially and in building a varied and interesting collection.;)

6. 1934 Wreath Crown

Exbrit I find that collecting key dates of modern sovereigns can also be both fun and rewarding. I bought the 1/4, 1/2, Sov and Double all First Strike PF70 DCAM and was shocked to see what some people are asking for these online.
    2012 PF70 DCam Obv.jpg 2012 PF70.jpg

jester3681 and onecenter like this.
  7. John King

John King Member

If I were going to buy a gold coin online like Ebay I would want it graded by NGS or
    PCGS otherwise you just don't know what you are getting due to bad photography etc. If I were buying in person from someone I trusted I would probably buy it raw, but often there is almost no difference in price between raw and slabbed coins. I see tons of common Morgans that are slabbed and graded selling for the same price as the raw coin in same condition.

8. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

I like the reverse of the 2012. Not as much as the George III reverse or the St. George of 1871 ...
    What do you think of the 2005 St. George? Some like it, some hate it. Cartoonish?

9. 1934 Wreath Crown

I find the older St. George image by Benedetto Pistrucci more appealing and 'mature' with more depth to its design. The 2012 is OK but the 2005 is a but disappointing. Both look a bit 'flat' to me.I collect them only because of demand and rarity, being 1 year designs. But for me the shield reverse are much nicer, even on the older half sovereigns. William IIII shield is really attractive as are the Victoria sovs. Here are some St. George Rev and modern wreath/shield for comparison.

Sorry about the quality of some of the images but I took them hurriedly with my phone, before depositing the coins in the bank. :)

2005 PR69 DCAM set Obv.jpg 2005 PR69 DCAM Set.jpg
    2002, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Sovereigns Obv.JPG 2002, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Sovereigns Rev.jpg 1887 Jubilee and 1911 Proof Sovereigns Obv.jpg 1887 Jubile  and 1911 Proof Sovereigns Rev.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  10. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

I was just reading about the Jubilee series. While I knew about all of the different variations - I didn't know that the 1871 S mintage was vastly over stated. Now all there is to do is research the widow head.

11. 1934 Wreath Crown

The 1871S is scarce but fairly easily available and in reasonably high grades. A St. George MS61 recently sold for just under $1,000 and an MS63 Shield for $1,500. The bullion coins that are very rare and hard to come by are the 1838, 1839, 1859 Ansells and Small Date , the 1879 St George (London Mint) and of course the 1841. I have only come across one example of the 1841 in a reasonable grade in the last 5-7 years, pictures of which I posted earlier. Most of them are ungraded and therefore G or VG at best.

What does surprise me is that many half sovereigns have very low mintage numbers but do not command nearly the same price of the full sovereign.

Maybe their day will come!!!

12. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

Made a mistake - I didn't mean the 1871 S, I meant the 1887 S Jubilee head. The stated mintage is over 1 million, but it actually is at most 370,000 - probably 12% less. Still not as rare as the coins you mentioned above. Someone now needs to research the Widow head Victorias.

13. 1934 Wreath Crown

1887S Jubilee is not too expensive in moderately high grades, MS61-63, but if you are looking at very high grades then they are extremely expensive. Also perhaps more of the 1887 jubilee coins survived in reasonably good compared to other years simple because people held on to them as souvenirs. The 1887 proof is also quite collectable. There are quite a few DCAM.....I was lucky to find an Ultra Cameo. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  14. 1934 Wreath Crown

15. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

Do you tend to lean towards Great Britain or Australia when collecting sovereigns?

16. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  17. 1934 Wreath Crown

Exbrit....you might like this one. Maybe I'll start a new topic....

Qtr Noble Obv.jpg Qtr Noble Rev Henry VI.jpg Qtr Noble.jpg

18. 1934 Wreath Crown

I collect more of the GB mints except when it comes to the Gothic braided hair (Only Aus Sydney)....one doesn't have a choice. Also many Aus half sovereigns have low mintage numbers, are harder to find and therefore by definition, rarer, pricier and more collectable.

I buy on eBay from many trusted dealers. Surprisingly, I have a few coin dealers in Portugal, US and Greece from whom I have bought some very good coins. Recently Greece has been a great source of reasonably priced sovereigns.

But I stick mainly to graded coins unless I trust the seller implicitly like Jon Blyth. He often has a very good choice of all GB coins including some very nice Crowns.

19. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

I've corresponded with Jon on a few coins. Jose Rodriguez in Portugal is also a good one. Greece while a good source - I tend to shy away from unless they have very good feedback and return policy. I love the Henry VI - tempting!

20. 1934 Wreath Crown

I have bought from this seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/coins_1958/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Sometimes he has some very good coins at good prices. I don't think he knew what the 1859 Small Date was. :) :)

I'm starting a thread on Other GB Gold coins. See you there as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted