Sovereigns

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Exbrit, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

Would like to hear your sovereign collecting focus and how well you are progressing. Any and all mints including the I-O-M sovereigns. Also looking for recommendation on reference books.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I liked the design and it's gold. Australia 1918-S only wanted the 1 for world gold coins.

DSC_8290.JPG
    DSC_8292.JPG

4. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Nice coin S.Y.
    I have one of those somewhere. I'll have to look it up. (Perth mint.)

Here it is.
    1913 George V Gold Sovereign
    Mintage 4,635,287
    Reverse DesignerBenedetto Pistrucci
    Obverse DesignerSir E. B. MacKennel
    Weight7.99 grams
    Size21.5 mm
    Composition, Gold91.7%, Copper8.3%

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  5. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

Nice coins - anyone collecting by date and/or mint?

Also - looking for any information on sovereigns that went down with the S.S. Central America.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I think panzerman is collecting by mint. ? @panzerman

7. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

I'm trying to collect by Rarity and Proofs....AND (most importantly) IF I can afford the coin offered on my budget :). An extremely rare 1841 and couple of 1859 Ansell's that I acquired not too long ago....Oh and I like the shield backs more than the St. George

Obv.jpg Rev.jpg

Ansell Obv.jpg Ansell Rev.jpg Ansell 2 Obv.jpg Ansell 2 Rev.jpg

onecenter, ilLOminatus and spirityoda like this.
  8. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

Very nice - I could use both dates! Focus on rarity makes a lot of sense. Building a complete set bleeds you dry!

9. 1934 Wreath Crown

I prefer to get the ones I really want now and try to fill the gaps when I have the time to sort out my collection and see which series I want to complete. Many gap fillers are only a few hundred $$ but as you said, sometimes there are so many variations that they bleed you dry.

Here are some of my proof coins:

South Africa 1923 PR64

Obv.jpg Rev.jpg

1937 Sovereign PF66. The scratches are on the holder.

1937 Obv.jpg
    1937 Rev.jpg
    1989 500th Anniversary set.

1989 Set.jpg

onecenter and spirityoda like this.
  10. 1934 Wreath Crown

One of my favourites. A rare 1831 sovereign and very hard to find in high grades. MS61

Obv.jpg Rev.jpg

11. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

Very nice. I really like the 1831. Are you thinking of a complete date run? Any Australian or Canadian? Collecting a complete mint and date set would be challenging. Add varieties and you need some really deep pockets. What reference books do you rely on? I heard Spinks and Clive King are both working on books that focuses on varieties.

12. 1934 Wreath Crown

Well I have quite a few of the rare or scarce Victoria's dates including 1838, 53, 58 and 59 small date. A few Ausi specially the gothic braided hair 58, 63 and 66. I have been buying them randomly at the moment but will try to fill the gaps when I sort them out.

Don't like George III too much (have his 1820) but will try to first complete Vic, George IV and William IV before looking at the others. Have only started collecting sovereigns about 4 years ago. Before that I was more into Tsarist roubles.

Got a few Canadian George V 1911, 1913 and 14 I think, but have to save up for the seriously rare ones as they cost upwards of $80k. Do have some nice half sovs like the 1839 proof PF64 though!!!

I prefer to look at the rarity online and see what are in high demand and take it from there. Cruiz coins has a list of mintage figures and I find that quite useful. Please remember I am a novice compared to many of the seriously knowledgeable guys on this site but am prepared to share my two pennies worth if it helps.

I was lucky with the Ansells and believe there are only 25-35 known coins in that type so I'm happy I have 2 . Please post some of your coins for us to enjoy. Cheers

13. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Not very good photographs - I haven't gotten around to taking some good ones.
    The first is a 1872 M and the second a 1857 Sydney.

14. 1934 Wreath Crown

Here is one of my Canadian Sovs. 1913

Canada 1913 Obv.jpg Canada 1913 Rev.jpg

15. 1934 Wreath Crown

Some Ausi Sovs 1860, 1866 and 1868

Aus 1860 Obv.jpg Aus 1860 Rev.jpg Aus 1866 Obv.jpg Aus 1866 Rev.jpg Aus 1868 Obv.jpg Aus 1868 Rev.jpg

16. 1934 Wreath Crown

Melbourne 1887 AU55

Aus 1887 M AU55 Obv.jpg Aus 1887 M Rev.jpg

17. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

Some very nice sovereigns. Since they are NGC, I'm guessing that you are in the US. Generally speaking, it seems as if the Brits like their sovereigns raw and the Aussies prefer PCGS. US? Maybe both PCGS and NGC.

18. 1934 Wreath Crown

No I'm not in the US but I have started buying a lot of my British coins from the US simply because they are cheaper in the US and are mostly graded.

You are correct in saying UK market has fewer graded coins. But I think the reason is a) The scarcity of local graders, CGS only recently started there and b) The high cost of grading in the UK. By contrast, the US has been grading and stabbing coins for decades.

I prefer slabbed coins coz it prevents handling and environmental damage and also it's a guarantee of what one is buying. Specially with proof coins you can loose several grades and $$$ due to mishandling.

Do you collect interesting coins from other countries as well? If so, why not post some on this site.

19. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I don't believe having CGS as the only grading company is one of the primary reasons. In the US, there are many TPG but only two matter to most buyers and sellers, NGC and PCGS.

The lower price level versus the US may be a factor but in the US, there are millions of (primarily NCLT) coins whose value is nominal or predominantly the result of the slab grade. Mostly, I believe TPG is not popular elsewhere because collectors just don't like it, don't want to waste their money on plastic, don't care about the minimal differences in (supposed) quality which are such a big deal to US collectors and would rather spend their budget on coins.

As for CGS, to my knowledge, they are owned by London Coins. I have on occasion bought from their auctions and if their catalogers are also their graders, I would be wary as a US buyer of buying a coin in this holder sign unseen without a return privilege. Their standard of "market acceptability" differs based upon my limited sample.

20. Exbrit

Exbrit New Member

I agree. I'm. Not a fan of CGS or London Coins. I prefer St. James, Baldwins along with two or three auction houses in Australia. I tend to like raw coins, but have recently began collecting NGc and PCGS as well.

21. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

If you prefer raw coins and did not know it, you should be aware that US buyers grading these coins has inflated the prices just as it has for US issues, though the price level is much lower. This has happened with most of the coins I collect as well, none of which are US though I live here.

The only Sovereigns I follow are those from South Africa. The 1923 circulation strike is a real rarity and the last time I checked 12 (or maybe 14) were in the combined population reports. The most widely accepted mintage for this coin is 64 which is derived by subtracting the 655 proof strikes from 719. However, in the Bentley sale, my recollection is Baldwin's disputed this number and claimed 406. I do not have access to their source.

The other scarce - not rare in my opinion - one is the 1924. Last I checked, the combined population count was 57 out of a reported mintage of 3618. Once again, there is confusion in the records. I have a copy of the 1950 Kaplan Guide (a predecessor to the current Hern Handbook) which claims 2555.

I presume there are some duplicates in this 57 but equally so, also assume that there are probably more out of the counts than in it, since many of these are probably owned by collectors outside of South Africa and not graded. I consider this coin overpriced at its current value.

The others, I would only buy as an MS-64 or maybe MS-65, depending upon the premiums and counts. None of them are scarce and in one instance at least, the two MS-66 I saw offered on Heritage a few years ago sold for absurd prices.

Draft saved Draft deleted