Souvenir cards

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

That plate of the Brooklyn Bridge is amazing!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I agree with both of the statements! I am kind of partial to the 2004 print ~ all very nice!!! Thanks for sharing!

Darryl

4. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Souvenir card reference site

If you are interested in seeing more cards, virtually all modern ones are posted on the website of dealer Bob Bailey. He has them categorized by the SCCS's numbering systems -- BEP, SemiOfficial (ABN mostly), USPS, and some oddballs. He also has some Forerunner cards posted. These I find the most interesting, because they are predecessors to modern cards, generally accepted to have started in 1960. The early ones go back to the mid-1850s and were issued for all manner of events. They can be very rare -- but the engravings are just beautiful. I'll post a few below.

Here's Bob's site:
    http://rsb.riche.net/cards/cardmaster.html

Attached Files:

5. Art

Art Numismatist?

Very interesting cards. I like the Bob Bailey site too. Thanks for sharing.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Great vignettes on these cards. Thanks for the link.

7. gsalexan

Thought you might like the Brooklyn Bridge invitation, Krispy. The was engraved by Tiffany & Co, btw.

oklahomadanny likes this.
  8. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks! I sure do appreciate seeing those engravings of the Brooklyn Bridge. I recently located a couple of these Eaton stationery stamps that depict the Bridge and were printed by the ABNCo too. I actually have a set of them on the way and will post them when they arrive:

[​IMG]

9. gsalexan

One more for you then! Not really a souvenir card -- this is commemorative panel issued by the USPS. But the intaglio vignettes are all from ABNC. We can get into these another time. :)

Attached Files:

10. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks. That's a nice piece. I especially like the modern vignette looking across the East River with the twin towers in the background.

11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

All beautiful engravings. The prices for the ones I can find are all over the place. How do I determine what is a fair price to pay for them?

12. gsalexan

If you mean commemorative panels in general, most of the ones from 1972 through 1990 can be had for $5 or less on eBay -- if you're patient. It's often cheaper per panel to buy a year set. Later issues begin to rise in price but you can still find most for less than $10. They all included 2-3 intaglios up until around 2006, when they finally went over to offset printing.

ABN had the contract to print these until around 1986, I think, when another bank note company won the low bid. And the quality of the intaglios took a nose dive for several years until ABN picked up the contract again in '89.

A great online resource to view these is The Stamp Professor:
    http://www.stampprof.com/cp/docs/indexcp.html
    I think his prices are pretty steep, but that's full retail.

Greg

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I didn't know there were that many different types of these. I have a couple and like the look of them a lot.
    Thanks for the information.

14. connor1

connor1 Collector

New pick ups

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. krispy

krispy krispy

Very cool new pieces you have there! I really like the first one in two inks and the brooklyn bridge vignette

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Great pick up,s Bob, As usual :thumb:

17. connor1

connor1 Collector

The 2 inks make the vignette stand out.The $50 1914 FRN Vignette I have (NY) but I really think the colors added to an already beautiful Vignette,
    The Brooklyn Bridge is also highly embossed & detailed I like them both.

18. gsalexan

Great looking cards, Bob! ;)

19. Art

Art Numismatist?

Great additions for your collection. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy these cards. Recently I have been looking at some issued by the BEP for stamp shows. The engraving is beautiful.

Picked this up from an ebay seller this past week. Haven't received it yet but the sellers pic looks great.

[​IMG]

20. connor1

connor1 Collector

Very nice pick up Art !

21. Art

Art Numismatist?

Picked up a few more Souvenir Cards and thought this thread could use a bump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really enjoying these.

Draft saved Draft deleted