Souvenir cards

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I only have two to go them, I am a little disappointed that they didn't make more
    of these to cover more series and notes, covering all series, would have been
    better :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Thanks for this confirmation Gavin. This allows us to move forward with catalog numbering on the SCCS website. http://souvenircards.org/gallery/ANA/ANA.html

4. gsalexan

Just giving everyone a heads-up on the BEP's Intaglio Prints for 2020. I recently spoke with the BEP marketing manager who was working from home. He said a lot of work at the Bureau was being done through teleconferences, although the presses were still rolling. Providing the nation with a stable money supply is, of course, the BEP’s top priority, and consequently there is no firm timetable for the 2020 Intaglio Print Program. Travel remains restricted, so the BEP and the Mint will not be attending the summer FUN show and the August ANA show in Pittsburgh also looks unlikely, but they are waiting to see when and how Pennsylvania lifts its quarantine. The 2020 intaglio print theme is still the 75th anniversary of WWII, with three cards forming a triptych design. He also mentioned that the Mayflower design used for the spider press card at January’s FUN show will probably be reused as part of a currency set. The planned Women’s Suffrage card sounds like a question mark. As production gets pushed further into the year the BEP may not have the resources to do everything. For the time being all new collector products are on hold.

Here's the only card issued this year, so far -- only 50 were printed and sold by raffle at the FUN show in January.

B-336.jpg

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Thanks for the update Greg.

6. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

That's a beautiful card! Only fifty printed. I hope they use that image again.

gsalexan likes this.
  7. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Amazing!

gsalexan likes this.
  8. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I don't believe I've seen souvenir cards at the Baltimore Whitman shows. Mike Bean is frequently there. I have been in a couple of years.

9. gsalexan

I spoke with the BEP Marketing Manager last week and he said they did plan to use the Mayflower design again, this time available to the general public. They would differentiate it from the show raffle version by using a different color ink. But it won't happen until next year sometime. Until Covid is conquered, their one and only mission is to maintain a stable money supply for the U.S. (and much of the world).

midas1 likes this.
  10. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Thanks for the good Mayflower news.

11. gsalexan

Wow, it's been almost a year since my last post on this thread! I just wanted to alert people to a nice card that's coming up. This was kind of a pet project of mine to find a printer who could pull this off -- it's the 40th Anniversary card for the Souvenir Card Collectors Society. We wanted to do something special this year, so I came up with this design using antique printing plates borrowed from one of our members. It's all intaglio printed and took seven passes. We will have these at our table for the ANA show, next week in Chicago.

These will be going out free to all SCCS members. If you aren't a member, the cards are $25 and you get a free membership. ;) You can learn more here:
    http://www.souvenircards.org/join.html

N-33.jpg

USS656 and midas1 like this.
  12. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Very nice card! Who did the printing? I haven't heard anything from
    Mike Bean in a while.

13. gsalexan

I was hoping Mike could do it, but he just moved into a new house and didn't have the time this year. So I went with a commercial printer -- Capital City Engraving Co. in Rockville, MD. The owner is a friend of Mike and has been doing intaglio printing for many years.

midas1 likes this.
  14. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Thanks for the update I may have to join the Souvenir Card Collectors Society. Do they have the annual show in Northern Virginia?

Absolutely amazing cards
    http://www.souvenircards.org/gallery/FB/FB.html

15. gsalexan

You're probably thinking of the Stock & Bond Show that's held in January. http://www.rsschell.com/
    I've been hoping to get to that, but I live on the West Coast. I think it might be a good spot for the SCCS to have a table some year.

16. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

You're right. I haven't been to the rsschell show in a few years.
    It would be nice if the SCCS had a show in N.Virignia.

17. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

I'm looking at all the souvenir cards you have put up on this site and I said to myself I have about 90 percent of these. If you can't buy the bill you have the central vignettte of the bill.

gsalexan likes this.
  18. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Is the 2021 card still available to new members I don't see it on the website.

19. gsalexan

Yes, the 40th anniversary card goes out free to all members, including new ones. That was the plan -- to make it attractive enough to bring in new recruits. I'm at the Chicago ANA show right now and we've already signed up a dozen! Don't wait too long, the supply is limited.

midas1 likes this.
  20. gsalexan

As a Christmas present to fellow souvenir card collectors, one generous member of this forum made a significant end-of-year donation to the Souvenir Card Collector Society (SCCS). He suggested we might use it to sponsor a few new members and I think that’s a great idea!

And so … we will offer free one-year memberships to three interested collectors from the Coin Talk Forum. Just post your name on this thread if you’d like to be considered. If I get entries from more than three people, I’ll draw three names from the hat.

Oh, and I should mention — this being the 40th year of the SCCS, all new members will receive our special annual card (posted above), in addition to the benefits you can read about here: http://www.souvenircards.org/join.html

I’ll announce our three new SCCS members on New Years Day!

krispy, masterswimmer and midas1 like this.
  21. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

cool thanks for the info :)

Draft saved Draft deleted