Souvenir cards

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Hers another representing the Series 611 also called the Marilyn Monroe note

Issued: May 26, 1961
    Withdrawn: January 6, 1964

Countries issued: Cyprus, Iceland, Japan and Korea

[​IMG]

oklahomadanny and gsalexan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

Heres, another one of my BEP examples

[​IMG]

oklahomadanny, midas1 and gsalexan like this.
  4. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

At the ANA Anaheim show today, members of the Souvenir Card Collector Society got together with a couple BEP reps to discuss ideas for future intaglio prints. They showed us a mock up of a potential design for next year's theme, which will commemorate the Constitution.

As luck would have it, Peter Huntoon's name came up just as he walking by! We grabbed him for a second and got his opinion on one idea. I snapped a quick selfie with him while he was up at the table. It was definitely a good day at the show! IMG_20160812_141653.jpg IMG_20160812_143021.jpg IMG_20160812_143532.jpg

5. mpcusa

Any new MPC example in the works ?

6. gsalexan

We didn't get any firm design decisions. Even the piece they showed us was just a possible option. It did have a couple nice vignettes of the Capitol building. But they are well aware of how popular both MPC-related series have been and are continuing to consider military themes.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

It was a nice show. A bit sleepy but steady throughout the days of the show. The highlight for me was getting to meet Greg! Glad you could make the trek down. Wished there we more SCCS and SPMC presence and dealers with related materials but it was good overall, even with the tiny BEP representation at a major Annual US collector show.

gsalexan likes this.
  8. gsalexan

D'oh! We should have got a picture together, Chris! Ah well, next show.

9. gsalexan

I just noticed that the BEP has posted the 2017 intaglio prints on their website. These go on sale April 4. The first one (U.S. Capitol) is exactly like the mock-up they brought to Anaheim (see photos above). I like the vignettes on these, but I don't think the text adds much to the design. At least they didn't drop the art directly over a field of letters as they have in the past.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    SteveInTampa and krispy like this.
  10. krispy

krispy krispy

Nice! Some designs that break from the last few years themes and layouts. I might be in for a set if these.

11. mpcusa

Got both Series of the MPC designs but the first year was sold out so i had to turn to the bay to complete the set

12. gsalexan

This thread needs some love and tonight I happened upon a card in my collection that I hadn't shared. (Well, okay, there are plenty I haven't shared, but this one stood out.) This is my one and only error souvenir card!

Philatelic souvenir cards used to be more frequently issued than paper money cards, but they don't get posted much here. This one was issued for the 1984 American Stamp Dealers Association show in NYC. What becomes obvious in the close-up of the "stamps" on the card is that the black printing is significantly shifted, causing sort of a ghost image of of Tom Sawyer whitewashing the fence.

This type of color-shifted error showed up fairly often on actual stamps from the 1960s to the '90s, due to the huge numbers printed. But on a souvenir card it's actually pretty rare.

B73 error.jpg B73 error cu.jpg

13. gsalexan

If you want to scroll back to page 12 of this thread, you'll find this card, but I don't feel too bad about reposting 7 years later -- I'm just glad this thread has been alive for so long! I just picked this one up today. This is B277, the 2005 ANA mid-year show card, which features the back of an 1882 $10 national bank note. This was during the period when the BEP was still putting currency designs on their souvenir cards -- but printing them in blue ink and adding "specimen" so no one could mistake them for actual proofs.

B277.jpg B277 cu.jpg

midas1, Paddy54 and SteveInTampa like this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Love these wish I would see more of these up for sale more often . I know you can find them on the bay but I have picked up a few at shows .

15. gsalexan

My Souvenir Card Journal arrived in today's mail and along with it was the annual souvenir card put out by the Souvenir Card Collectors Society. These are a free bonus for being a member. This is about 6x8" and entirely engraved. They always do a nice job on these cards and they are becoming pretty scarce as printing is limited to just the number needed for members. Anyone interested in joining can PM me for details.

SCCS 2017 annual card.jpg

midas1, krispy, mpcusa and 1 other person like this.
  16. mpcusa

Souvenir Cards are one of my favorite ways to celebrate my collection, have several
    From the MPC world :)

Just wonder if there is anything new on the horizon ?

17. Dollarsavr

Dollarsavr Question everything...

Love it! I didn't know that there were such items...

I live close to the BEP Plate Printer for the "Spider Press" (now retired). Someday, I will have to ask him if he knows about this Error. I do not see Mike that often nowadays. BTW, he purchased that press when he retired. He made my engraved business cards with it a number of years ago. I recently modified them with me correct/new address. (See .jpg Scan).

Attached Files:

midas1, gsalexan and krispy like this.
  18. krispy

krispy krispy

Got mine, too! Always very exciting to find one of these tucked into the Journal. :happy:

19. gsalexan

You know Mike Bean!? He's been a huge boon to the souvenir card hobby over the years. In fact I think he probably printed that annual card I just posted (on his spider press.) Great guy, and I have a business card of his that looks very much like yours.

midas1 likes this.
  20. gsalexan

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is still doing their intaglio print program, which is just a fancy word for souvenir cards. Check their website. They no longer print currency cards, but we're hoping that may change in the near future.

21. Dollarsavr

Dollarsavr Question everything...

Yes, I know mike... he and I go way back.

Draft saved Draft deleted