Souvenir cards

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

How did you scan/photograph these? Did you use a UV lamp for a light source or did scanning them turn them these day-glow colors?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. connor1

connor1 Collector

My wife is a quilter & uses a Ott Lite (true litecolor lamp) & if you put a hologram under it ,it lites up but you have to keep moving left to right looking thru the digital point & shoot LCD till you get the angle & like majic the hologram pops out almost 3D.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

That's very cool. Learn something every day! Ott lite

5. connor1

connor1 Collector

The OTT Lite is a full spectrum light great for craft or hobby.If you shot close-up macros of vignettes it is fantastic.In most cases you don't need a flash.
    The method of shooting that Statue of Liberty macro hologram close up I described is only for that hologram. The Denmark holograms were UV lighted I think ,I didn't shoot those.
    I think you can get less expensive full spectrum lamps cheaper but the OTT Lights are nice.

6. connor1

connor1 Collector

I agree Rusty The $2 Battleship note is so detailed,to bad it is his only engraved note he is a fantastic engraver ,you can see the sailors on the deck !
    Engraved by the BEP and engraver Charles M. Chalmers.Chalmers was a cousin of noted engraver Marcus W. Baldwin,began engraving career with ABNCo in 1922.The Battleship vignette is his only note engraving according to The Engraver's Line by Gene Hessler

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t94663-4/#ixzz0jCiJUp9S

7. Art

Art Numismatist?

Wonderful cards.

8. connor1

connor1 Collector

9. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

So this is going to take a while to load, please forgive me but I felt you would like to see these a little bigger than normal. Hope you enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. krispy

krispy krispy

THOSE... ARE... FANTASTIC!!! Thank you for all the large scans!

11. USS656

:D Yes they are really nice. The cards are the size of a sheet of paper on very heavy cream stock. The condition is like they were just printed. Glad you like them! Best Regards ~ Darryl

12. USS656

Here is just one of the images full size. The detail is really something!!!

[​IMG]

13. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

WOW!! Darryl..

You have been a busy guy! Just simply beautiful!
    Maybe all of us here at CT should arrange to get together and have the CoinTalk Paper Money and Vignette Display Show..that would really be something to see :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Congrats on these my friend.

RickieB

14. USS656

Thanks Rick! Every time I say I am going hold off on getting anything else I see something else I have to have! Really have to cut back now but really happy to have picked up what I have! One of these days I will get back to buying notes but I do have to say ~ seeing some of these souvenir cards at the cost you can get them, it's very hard to pass up!!!!!!! If you don't have a big budget but want some beautiful pieces, this is one way to do it!

Best Regards ~ Darryl

15. connor1

connor1 Collector

Darryl ,these cards & vignettes are fantastic the detail in the vignettes and the color are beautiful.The Souvenir Card Collecting Society cards are alway fantastic.Nice close ups also.

16. Art

Art Numismatist?

Great cards & vignettes. I got one of the St. Johns from ebay this past week. :thumb:

17. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Yahoo! I have found my tribe! I only wish I'd come across this thread sooner.

I've been collecting souvenir cards for MANY years and I totally agree that the intaglio art on these is stunning. They were quite popular up through the '90s, but when ABNC went under the bottom kind of fell out. In the '80s there were upwards of 15-20 different cards issued each year. BEP was also actively issuing both numismatic and philatelic themed cards; now they are down to 3-4 a year.

Souvenir cards seem to have been largely forgotten for about a decade. There's a small contingent -- all members of the Souvenir Card Collector Society (including me) -- who still actively collect and the Metro chapter of the club prints cards such as the ones Darryl posted. The SCCS journal really is a pretty good encyclopedia on this stuff, particularly if you read up on the back issues. Sadly, the SCCS demographics are mostly 65 and older, with few members who are tech savvy...hence, no web site. They really could use some younger blood.

You've inspired me to post some of my favorite cards, too. I'll see if there are any Hawaiian ones that haven't been posted...

oklahomadanny likes this.
  18. gsalexan

This is exactly the reason I started collecting these -- to get copies of notes or stamps I could never afford, or often so rare no one ever even got a glimpse of them. The prints from original dies are essentially the same intaglio engravings as originals.

Here are a couple Hawaiian philatelic cards that depict stamps you'd only find in a major auction or a museum. These particular cards are fairly pricey, but you can find a lot of the early ones in the $5-10 range.

Attached Files:

19. gsalexan

A few more of the scarce ABNC cards that aren't seen that often.

Attached Files:

20. gsalexan

One of the spider press cards BEP printed at the 2004 ANA show here in Portland.

Attached Files:

21. Art

Art Numismatist?

Wonderful cards. I especially like that ANA 2004 card.

Draft saved Draft deleted