Souvenir cards

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Beautiful pick-ups, Paddy! And try finding an original Republic of Hawaii silver certificate for anything but moon money. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Oh I bet.... beautiful note would love to see one in hand.

I picked up 4 of the Hawaiian cards and 6 of the bank of Lebanon cards so I have extra's if anyone is interested . PM me .

4. gsalexan

If you do a search for "Hawaii" in this thread you'll find some spectacular cards.

5. Paddy54

I have seen them and yes fantastic notes! I had 4 of the $5 cards to sell each of them have been sold ! I still have 4 of the Lebanon bank that are very nice also. Those are valued higher Uncanceled but the Hawaiian are more canceled .
    I like to find some of the other Hawaiian ones for my collection , two members here snatched up my doubles .
    Also you can't find them on e bay I've been looking .

6. gsalexan

In 1995 (after they had been absorbed by US Bank Note Corp.) the American Bank Note Co. reprinted a series of Hawaiian notes on card stock. Strictly speaking, these are not souvenir cards, since they don't commemorate anything, but the reprints are strikingly beautiful. I love how each note is incrementally smaller as the denominations get lower -- the cropped dollar bill gives you some scale. Hawaiian reverse.jpg Big Hawaiian notes.jpg Sm Hawaiian notes.jpg

DM1, SteveInTampa, midas1 and 2 others like this.
  7. krispy

krispy krispy

8. Paddy54

Sweet I can truly see how collecting these can be an obsession . One is better than the next. About a year ago I was at the lcs. He had the album plus most of the cards. I did make an offer at that time. He just smiled and said no!

gsalexan and krispy like this.
  9. gsalexan

I'm going to add a couple cards that I don't think have been posted here yet. Back in 1996 the BEP issued a nice series called "The Era of Silver & Gold" featuring some really impressive silver and gold certificates. Here is the front and back of the 1907 $1000 gold certificate -- one of those notes most collectors will never add to their collection, except in this form.

B206.jpg B206 cu.jpg B211.jpg B211 cu.jpg

DM1, green18, USS656 and 3 others like this.
  10. gsalexan

Just spotted on eBay ... I guess we knew the day would come. I've seen cut-down cards graded and misrepresented, but this is the first slabbed souvenir card entire I've come across. It's correctly identified, but I just don't see the point to this -- I can't imagine there being any premium for having something like this graded and it only makes it harder to put in an album.

Thoughts?

$_58.JPG

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  11. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I'm pretty sure it is not graded.......just described, encapsulated, and authenticated. It doesn't make any sense to me, except maybe someone just has too much money.

gsalexan likes this.
  12. DM1

DM1 Active Member

Look at it this way: the "slab" keeps the card nice and clean until you're ready to cut it out and put it in your album.

gsalexan likes this.
  13. krispy

krispy krispy

Yeah, just holdered, no grade but it wouldn't surprise me if the TPG did this themselves as some sort of give away. Perhaps even a subtle suggestion of trying to getting a market going or trying to get people accustomed to the idea to capture an area they haven't capitalized on yet.

gsalexan likes this.
  14. gsalexan

I forwarded the photo to the Souvenir Card Journal editor, so it may end up in the next issue. It should be interesting to see what other SCCS members think of it. Great observations, all!

krispy likes this.
  15. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I just came across quite a few of these at an estate auction and bought them all. I haven't sorted through them yet, but most seem to be 80's through early 2000's from a variety of ANA shows as well as BEP sales. I don't know a lot about them, but am interested in learning.

It was Independence Day weekend, so not a lot of people showed up and even fewer were bidding, so I got them all at pretty good prices. An inexpensive history lesson so to speak (which allowed me to buy the silver which WAS expensive!).

I've read the thread and saw that the Hawaii cards are rare, are there any other rarities that I should be on the lookout for?

Most of them are bills/notes, a few are pictures for stamps, some were noted as never used/issued.

Thanks in advance for advise and direction on these!

16. gsalexan

Happy to offer advice. First note -- the Hawaii cards are not rare, but because they are attractive they have more market value. Very few souvenir cards are rare and with less people collecting these days prices are not as strong as they once were, especially for cards in the 1980s and '90s. If you check on ebay you'll see there's more supply than demand. That's particularly true of philatelic souvenir cards (stamps).

That said, there are a few better cards, generally the limited editions sold only at shows by lottery. These are known widely as "pulled proofs" although they really aren't proofs, nor are they "pulled" on the demo press at the show. The best place to get a sense of the retail value of your cards is on Ken Barr's website: www.kenbarr.com/souvcd.html. He also posts links to images of most cards to help identify them. Good luck and let us know if you find any good ones among your purchase.

midas1 and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  17. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Thank you very much!

18. gsalexan

I don't usually mention things like this, but one of the few remaining souvenir card dealers, Stan Miller, is offering a 50 percent discount on his cards in stock, until August 15. I looked through his lists and picked up one I needed at a great price. There is a pretty wide selection and some better cards that rarely show up at such a discount. Anyone interested can PM me for details.

19. gsalexan

Tonight, something our New York members will appreciate. This is the card I mentioned above. SCCS catalog # F1990F -- the Lake George engravers union convention card. I really like the Niagara Falls vignette on this one. It's not attributed, but I'm fairly certain the figure in the center was engraved by American Bank Note. His gaze falls prophetically on the twin towers to the right.

I have a really interesting complete folder of 1993 union cards coming soon with some great engravings. I'll get the scanner going once it arrives.
    F1990F.jpg

Paddy54 and midas1 like this.
  20. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Does Stan Miller have a website? I couldn't find him using google.

21. gsalexan

I don't think he does -- he's more of a collector/dealer. I'll PM you his information.

Draft saved Draft deleted