Southeast Asia Coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SorenCoins, Apr 29, 2022.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hi there!

A close family friend was incredibly kind in giving me a bag of 40 or so old coins that were in the possession of their grandfather. There are old U.S. coins as well as many old foreign coins. Their grandfather was in the surgical unit on the Burma Road in World War Two, which makes one of these coins particularly intriguing.
    IMG_6283.jpg IMG_6282.jpg
    My initial reaction was that this coin reminded me of maybe Cambodia or Laos. I went through the Numista listings for those countries and did not see anything that really matched. It was then that I found out about their grandfather's service along the Burma Road. So, I went through and checked other coins from Southeast Asian countries like Myanmar/Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. I scanned listings of coins from Nepal and Bhutan until--aha--finally, I came across Tibet.

I came across a possible match: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15217.html
    This silver 1 Tangka from Tibet looks to be a close match. However, I am not at all experienced in these kinds of coins and so I am not sure if there are other very similar-looking coins that are distinguished by slight varieties. That is why I came here, to try to get all of your opinions as to if my ID is correct or if I need to do a little bit more digging. I have not yet narrowed down which date I think it is from, but so as to not spoil the fun of figuring it out myself I will wait until I do so before I check this thread.

*I know the orientation of the coin in the photos is probably not correct. My apologies!

On another personal note, I am deeply touched that I was entrusted to keep and preserve the story of this individual. The group of coins I was given are such a great story. Post-war world coins show his travels across Europe after the war to areas in France and Switzerland. I can not wait to keep looking closer at all of these coins. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

robinjojo likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

My first thought was it's from Tibet.

5. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The Eidolon and spirityoda like this.
  8. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

10. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Looks like Tibet to me, too. Nepal had some similar coins as well, but this looks like Tibet to me. The surface looks a bit different from the silver tangkas I usually see. Here's some of mine:
    Tibetan Tangka L type Fvii R type Bi.jpeg

11. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Yours looks pretty similar to mine on the left.
    My notes have mine as "Tibetan Tangka type Fvii"
    Here's yours in a similar orientation.
    collage.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted