South Korean man loses half a fortune by trying to wash his money

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

capthank and GH#75 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Lol. Are they not allowed to use a credit card or something? I mean... it is south korea.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's a decent amount of money on that table. But hopefully not half his fortune lol. It's more like about $3k USD if I'm doing my mental math right.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The article states the person was able to exchange 507 50K notes...which would be valued around $21,000 USD (based on my calculations). Apparently they exchange damage bills at half value. So, based on that the loss would be about $10,000 USD. Hopefully that's not half their fortune...but $10K is a large laundry bill.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I couldn't open the article at work. Was just looking at the table.
    Definitely would not want to lose that much money!

CamaroDMD likes this.
  7. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Fear of CV19....

8. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I don't think the washer did that damage. Looks like they used a propane torch to dry them. Or the Hot setting on the dryer is very HOT.

9. CamaroDMD

Agreed. They look burned.

10. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Bills in the photo were in a microwave.

Two nitwits in the linked story -- one used a washing machine and the other a microwave.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Crazy! I bet that guy's gonna be embarrassed for years to come! laughhard.gif

12. Mike Thornton

That makes sense. I used a book to elevate a plate in a microwave oven, many years ago. Never considered the book having enough moisture left in it to reach the combustion temperature 451F. (didn't catch fire but was smoking).

capthank likes this.
  13. Mike Thornton

I didn't click on the link.

14. CamaroDMD

Do South Korean bills have any polymer in them or any tiny bits of metal in the security devices?

capthank likes this.
  15. goossen

goossen Senior Member

16. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Ironically, all either one had to do was put them out in the sun for 1/2 hour, flip them over for another 1/2 hour and the virus would have been killed. Go figure!

capthank likes this.
  17. Sidney Osborne

Was probably a hot one from the NYT best seller listings...

18. Sidney Osborne

He could have added a little gochucaru sauce and made his own kimchi...that kills everything...

19. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I've washed US Currency in the washing machine and then used a cool iron to dry them. Worked quite well since my goal was to clean up a couple of ratty straps so I could Where's George them... and I've gotten hits on those five and six years later.

20. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

I was at a chase bank one time and was asking to look at the older or destroyed bills and the lady showed me 1200 dollars in chrispy burned hundreds. Paranty the ladies home flooded so she wanted to dry the bills off by putting them in the microwave and they caught fire. It amazes me some times.

21. Mike Thornton

The last time I was there was in 1990. At that time, I don't recall any polymer notes at that time.

Draft saved Draft deleted