South Africa 5 shillings

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by expat, Apr 10, 2020.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Very "junky" coins for sure, I am gold with envy...I don't have any ponds (yet).

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

The 1923 South African sovereign is a very hard date to find. My British Commonwealth Coins lists a mintage of only 719 coins

4. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

655 for the Proof version. Though I think the 1892 single shaft is more difficult to find. Very few of these were minted in the first place and I remember reading somewhere that most of them were lost.

5. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I received this price list of coins from the South Africa Mint in Pretoria in 1964 and used it to order some uncirculated coins.

I did not have the money then to order proof sets.

[​IMG]
    South Africa Mint price list 1964 page 1

[​IMG]
    South Africa Mint price list 1964 page 2

I did buy some items from the list including this successor to the 5 shilling coin.

[​IMG]
    South Africa 50 cents 1964
    Silver, 39 mm, 28.26 gm

:)

Cheech9712, onecenter and coin_nut like this.
  6. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1960 South Africa 5 shilling. I spent about a month in South Africa in 1974, did a lot of fishing, had a great time. 1960 GB-ZA 5 s obv.JPG 1960 GB-ZA 5 s rev.JPG

onecenter likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

She works for the UN. International relations. Not really happy with the country's politics. White townships get clean water. Other poor townships get next to none. Poor policing also. Shes got her hands full. I am so proud of her. She won' t leave even thoe US wants her to. So. Africa still honor her visa and position. Am i worried. YES. Oh. Nice coins @1934 Wreath Crown

8. Cheech9712

9. Cheech9712

She's fighting the good fight. I just got to keep telling myself that. Pray for us!

10. 1934 Wreath Crown

Its not easy trying to keep multiple sides happy in that region. She must be a very brave and caring lady. Best wishes to all of you.

11. Cheech9712

12. Cheech9712

13. Cheech9712

Interesting. Any tips i can pass on. I do love the wagon. Beautiful. Thats got to be special

14. 1934 Wreath Crown

The coins I have posted are all fairly desirable and quite difficult to find. The 1892 silver proof sixpence and 2 shilings (Florin) in proof version are VERY rare. Estimated mintage of only about 50-60 pieces. Business strikes are fairly common.

Similarly the 1892 Pond (Single Shaft) will cost many times the price of a Double Shaft. Both are quite scarce but the Single Shaft is highly sought after. Most of the 1892 proof issues are very collectible and quite expensive $$$$.

Other very sought after coins are:

1923 Sovereign in both Proof and Business strike
    1924 Sovereign
    1902 ZAR Gold 'Veld" Pond in any condition is pricey

If you want serious money then the Burgers Pond, the 1898 Pond stamped 99, Orange Free State silver Kroon, George V Proof sets, 1893 1/2 Pond are all VERY pricey and highly collectible in any condition.

Hope that helps

coin_nut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted