Source for recent Mexico issues?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by xlrcable, Apr 4, 2013.

1. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

I'm working on a 20th century Mexico type set, and oddly enough one of the difficult areas seems to be the post-1992 reform coins. I mean the everyday coins, not the silver proofs and other fancy stuff, but I'd like to find them uncirculated. Dealers don't seem to bother with them, and eBay is glutted with people trying to sell beaten up examples for high prices. I don't think there's anything like a "mint set" from this period. Any ideas?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I may be way off base here, but the problem might be because their mint does not sell current coinage to the public. I think everything is distributed through their National Banks and they don't sell to the public either. Now if you live there, you can walk in and just ask for it. However, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I will be corrected immediately :>)

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'm working on the same set. I built most of mine from the junk bin at the local coin shop. There are a lot of people who moved from or travel to Mexico in the U.S., so Mexican coins are some of the most common to find in junk bins. I then used eBay to fill in the gaps. Look for people selling lots if you need a lot of a particular series. I'll warn you though, there are some that are almost impossible to find. I check eBay every week and there are still about five coins from the 80s and 90s that I have never seen for sale at any price. It's kind of frustrating.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I find modern Mexican banknotes from sellers in Mexico that ship them via courier through El Paso TX and have to imagine that you can do the same with coins. I have thought of buying a nice set of the $100 peso bi-metallics in silver myself.

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Purchasing coins from Mexico can be risky. I've tried it twice. One showed up and one never arrived. The time it did show up, the person at the post office who gave it to me said she was really surprised that it arrived. I guess mail from Mexico often gets lost along the way.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Reliable sellers there know that - and ship from El Paso, TX - much the same way many in Canada drive over the border to post goods to the USA - because their postal service is expensive and very unreliable.

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

This is from a dealer I sometimes buy from: http://pfalzmuenzen.de/Laender_A_Z/Mexiko/ Note that the sets depicted there are not mint sets but third party sets. Now ordering there, with shipping to the US, may be a bit expensive. But I'm sure that some dealers south of Canada and north of Mexico have similar pieces and sets. :)

Christian

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

http://www.banxico.org.mx/ go here and then use your translatetor to have it donw load in english I think you can buy set from the central bank :) As I know while in Cancun I saw a goverment shop near the hotel that was selling coins. .... in a mini mall area.

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The central bank's website is in English too (here are their coin sets for example). But ordering looks a bit complicated. One time we were in Mexico (D.F.) and also went to the mint's store on Reforma. Very nice but at a price. :)

Christian

11. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

When I looked at their site, they refer you to Mexican national or international dealers of PM for silver or proof coins. They do not sell these direct. They will sell their used circulated coins but you need to get a quote prior to ordering. There were several PM dealers listed for the U. S., but no prices. There were address's and phone numbers listed for them. At least it's a start. From what they elude to, the silver coins and proofs are pricey.

13. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. I notice that MercadoLibre now has a payment method called MercadoPago, which I gather is something like PayPal. Has anyone tried using that from the US?

Draft saved Draft deleted