SOS CYBER BLACKMAIL

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SwK, May 8, 2016.

1. SwK

SwK Junior Member

it is reccomended to pay - this is the beginning of CYBER BLACKMAIL

what do you think?

IMG-20160508-WA0020.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What were you doing when that screen popped?

noname likes this.
  4. green18

Ransomware?

Cascade likes this.
  5. green18

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

This is the CoinVault ransomware. You should investigate here, where they claim to have a program that can decrypt this without paying. It's from a reputable security firm, so I would say it's worth paying them over paying the ransom.

After that, back up your data (only! not programs), and reinstall your system, as everything should be considered suspect until you do so.

Winex likes this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This. You can also just do what we call "repaving;" wipe the drive, reformat and install from scratch.

Then, take a hard look at how you use the Internet, because you gave that stuff permission to infect your system. It usually arrives via an infected email Attachment.

8. Winex

Winex New Member

9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I think this is a little different then a virus. Someone turned on your web-cam and they were listening and filming your ever move .

Now their going to post, or threatening to post their finds, unless you pay up . I'm sure you will be receiving more messages as time runs down ..

Never leaves your web-cam uncovered ....

harrync likes this.
  10. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Don't pay them any money.

Probably have to reload the operating system or have a computer shop do it.

:)

KSorbo likes this.
  11. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Yes, that is classic ransom ware. The internet can be an agonizingly dangerous place these days.

A few proactive things to do for others who have not experienced this: buy 2 external USB drives and copy anything of importance to both of them. Keep 1 plugged into the computer and only plug the other one in when making backups. That way, when something like this happens, you can just reset the operating system, reload your files, and move on.

This kind of stuff makes my intestines twinge with revulsion every time I see it. Ugh.

12. Rick Stachowski

Here is the best program for spy ware, click the link I pasted, then download the free program .
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

If there's spy ware on your computer this will take care of it . I hope you didn't do anything you didn't want anybody to know about ...

13. green18

Those boys (malwarebytes) have saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Kentucky, saltysam-1 and Paul M. like this.
  14. Rick Stachowski

It's a great program, best the market has to offer ...

15. Rick Stachowski

This happen to one of my sons friends, as time went on the spy show him ( them ) things he was doing and told him he was going to post them on his Facebook wall, for everyone to see .

To make a long story short, just tell the a-hole not hard to track his IP address and then, let see who in trouble .
    The kid never heard back from the spy ..

Paul M. likes this.
  16. Paul M.

This is reminding me of one of the reasons I run Linux.

Winex likes this.
  17. SwK

SwK Junior Member

Thanks it happened to an accountant - not me and he did not have back-up

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Three cardinal rules of computing were likely broken here: 1) Back up. Back up. Back up. 2) Don't play around in an Administrator-enabled account, and if you do, UAC is your friend and every time you see its' warning, you need to study it. And 3) Somebody clicked something they shouldn't have, and it probably wouldn't have passed the most casual inspection of a more computer-savvy user.

Computers are not cars. You_do_need to know somewhat how they function to avoid getting burned. Just knowing how to drive isn't enough, and people learn this the hard way every day. Ransomware simply wouldn't work if computer users were better educated.

BadThad and green18 like this.
  19. Paul M.

You forgot a rule: it's not a backup until you've tested the restore procedure.

20. Rick Stachowski

So this is a work, or company computer ?

21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Like any blackmail scheme, paying just makes it happen more. If it's profitable, people put the resources into writing the software...

However, if you don't have good backups (and have tested the restore process), only YOU can decided whether the files are worth it or if you can 'afford' to lose them.

Google "the prisoner's dilemma"

Draft saved Draft deleted