Sorting my 70 year accumulation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inspector43, Jan 6, 2019.

1. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

Inspector43, I like your story. Reminds me of when my brother and I were kids in the fifties. We started collecting pennies, in the the small town where we lived our father was a lodge brother with the local chief of police. He made arrangements for us to go through all the cents from the parking meters in town. I envy the task you're faced with. Have fun.

LaCointessa and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Now that would have been fun. Those meters did bring in a lot of pennies. And, in the 40's and 50's a penny was still a penny and most people didn't think anything of it. I have a couple hundred IHC's that I found back then. The coins I'm dealing are my extras as my better stuff is in my albums. Still fun.

4. STU

STU Active Member

I retired in 2008 and started doing that same thing sorting and documenting what I have since 1964 when I started collecting I am still going thru them have got a lot of them done but it sure takes lots of time .

Inspector43 and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Inspector 43: I really enjoyed reading your recollection. Here's a tough question - maybe even impossible for you to answer. If you were told you can keep only ONE coin, which one would it be?

6. Inspector43

The coin shown on my avatar is the 1885 nickel my aunt gave me in 1948 when I was 5 years old. That is the one that I would never give up.

7. Inspector43

This reminded me of an "Our Gang" movie from the way back days. The school teacher asked Spanky what he wanted to be when he grew up. Spanky replied "a bus driver because they really bring in the nickels".

Trimbit, Garlicus, MisterWD and 2 others like this.
  8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hear dat

9. Inspector43

So far I have come up with more than 50 early S Mint Cents. All decades. Many in the Teens. Rough sorted for now.
    IMG_5541.JPG

10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Yeah, no kidding. That's one reason I keep my collection small (~ 300 coins). Sorting through a huge mountain of coins would make me crazy. Definitely don't have the patience for that.

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. bsting

bsting Never enough coins.lol

Very cool. Can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Very interesting and fun 1984 P with blisters on neck and ear found in stash.
    1984 P Blisters.jpg 1984 P Blisters Obv.jpg 1984 P Blisters Rev.jpg

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. Inspector43

One mistake I made in my working life was not bringing home coins from wherever I travelled. I could have had coins from all over the world but didn't use cash very often. I used credit cards as it was easier to do an expense report. I did get interested in early Canadian coins. I built a Bank of Upper Canada collection. They were minted a couple of different places and was fun to do. I gave the collection to my son and he is trying to finish it.

14. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Looking at it positively, maybe just as well you didn't get too many international coins - you might not have had enough room for your furniture. Anyway, what you never knew, maybe that member of the computer generation will know - your son !!!

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Inspector43

You are right there. My collecting of stamps and coins takes up a lot of room. I did move my wife out of the home office and take over another desk. Built (converted a screen porch) a sitting room that she uses as a hobby area. She can look at the lake, wildlife and her horses in peace and quiet. Most of last year I spent organizing 70 years of stamp accumulations.

LaCointessa likes this.
  16. Bert Gedin

Looks like you now have things reasonably organised. Will your son, eventually take over your stamps & coins. If so, and even if much later on, maybe he participates in arranging the stamps & coins ? That would be a good opportunity to familiarise himself with what those hobbies are all about.

17. Inspector43

My oldest son. He has been sort of collecting most of his life. He is 55 now. But, we have 6 children, 13 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren. Part of the organization effort is to break it up enough to get more of them interested. Some like stamps and some like coins. I don't see where I would have to dispose of it other than to family.

CircCam, Bob Evancho and Seattlite86 like this.
  18. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think that’s great. I’m (hopefully) decades early on this, but I often think about my collection when I pass. I already have items set aside for my kids, to include numismatic gifts friends have bought for them, that they will one day receive. I think, however, that I will purge a lot of my collection before I go, since it brought me joy, but might not necessarily bring them joy. A lot of what I have holds little value and I don’t want to pass on a potential burden. I think I’ll eventually get a feel for what the might like and the rest gets sold or donated to others who want the items. I’ll also keep the more expensive stuff for them; they can sell that off relatively easily if they don’t find joy in it. We’ll see if I change my approach down the road. I hope you are happy with your end result :)

Bob Evancho and Inspector43 like this.
  19. Inspector43

You accumulate a lot of stuff over the years. Rather than birthday and Christmas gifts we now give our kids and grandkids some "stuff" from our shelves. We give them or let them pick out something they always liked growing up. We know our stuff goes to one who will like it and take care of it. They seem to like that better than trying to find something that they "may" like.

20. Burninsoul

Burninsoul The Black Sheep

Looks like you have got a great collection some would only dream to have,wish i would have studied and collected when i was younger for sure..maybe i will in the next life.

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. Bert Gedin

Hi Seattlelite86' comments would be helpful, As newer generations have emerged, and that certainly helps qualify his remarks. Burninsoul hopes to establish an improved collection in the next life. What an absolutely divine idea !!! :vulcan:

Inspector43 and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted